Moving Trees & Unusual Neighbours


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Cuyabeno Reserve
August 1st 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

A very early start 5.30am, took a dug out canoe ride before breakfast to check out the birdlife. We were lucky and did not have to paddle! Saw an array of wildlife and heard the morning birdsong. Ellie spotted many squirrel monkeys rustling in the trees close to the camp. We watched as they leapt elegantly from tree to tree, consumed fruit, had the occasional disagreement and generally played around, a personal highlight. We also saw White Banded Swallow, Finches, Toucans, Macaws, King Fisher, Fly Catcher, vultures, Hocatcitaing, fluffy cotton trees, beautiful deep red passion flowers and Promelious - a good start. Then we returned back to cheese epinadas and scrambled egg.

After breakfast we took a short canoe journey to a muddy landing place. Here we commenced a 4 hour trek through the rainforest to discover the uses of the medicinal plants and some of the smaller wildlife species. We saw the amazing Leaf-cutter ants, giant Conga ants and an enormous blue butterfly known as the Morphe species and many smaller ones. We saw many spiders with huge intricately woven webs, centipedes, lemon ants which some people sampled, dragon flies and a tarantula skin. Our guide found many frogs, including a bright green one and a tiny one. Many strange plants - many used for medicinal purposes in the jungle, ones with grubs inside which you can eat (we declined), some containing water, elastic vines - a myriad of greens and shapes. Amazing to think of the number of species of flora and fauna that grow here.

We also learnt the trick if you become lost in the jungle, you obtain a branch and whack it against a particular tree species, and the noise echoes and is heard for miles. You could really see that the place was alive, even the trees constantly moving - amazing! We soon stumbled across another camp, where we enjoyed our long awaited lunch - rice, beans, banana then had a siesta. After lunch at 3.30pm Nick eventually managed to wake up the guides, and we went in a dug-out canoe ride along the river, and into a lagoon. The water was a dark brown almost black colour and we wandered what lurked beneath the surface. Our guide said this is where he had seen an anaconda, but we only caught a quick glimpse of some turtles resting. There were also lots of birds present, Macaws and White Banded Swallows.

On our way back we had a race with the other half of the group, paddling hard to win the beers. When we returned some people went swimming in the brown coloured river amongst the piranhas, and then enjoyed dinner, you've guessed it rice again! Later we went for a short 45 minute night trek in hope to catch some of the night wildlife in the rainforest. Just before we were about to leave we heard some screaming from the bathroom area. Some of the members of the group, had discovered two tarantulas nesting in the bathroom roof. We were told not to be afraid as they had been resident here for sometime & would cause no harm as long as they were not disturbed! Unfortunately little observed on the night trek, except a couple of spiders. However we decided to swing on some tree vines instead for entertainment! We relaxed for a short while before returning to our huts. Took a little longer to get to sleep, trying to remove any images of tarantulas!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Little Green Frog Little Green Frog
Little Green Frog

Note the stunned look on his face as a giant camera lens points in his direction!


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 81; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb