villa de leyva


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Villa de Leyva
March 12th 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Villa de Leyva, bless this little mountain town. What should typically take only four hours from the big city took me 6 unfortunately, due to road works however the Colombian buses are extremely comfortable so it wasn't all that bad, that and the fact that I am used to 20 hour stints on buses nowadays so 6 hours is nothing!!
Back to the cute little town; I wish I could have stayed in for longer. Villa de Leyva is considered one of the finest colonial villages of Colombia and was declared a National Monument many hundreds of years ago to preserve its architecture and it has certainly done this. Gorgeous architecture adorns every street, cobblestone streets stretch on forever throughout this beautiful tourist attraction. Not the easiest for walking on but it definitely adds to the history of the place. There is a huge town square which attracts tourist and birds. The locals also gather here throughout the day and by night this gorgeous town turns into a hub of activity. The young kids ride around on bikes, play in the fountain and form the foreground to the gorgeous colonial church and its pretty lights. Off the main square are tiny cobblestone streets with small shops selling artisan goods. So much shopping to do so little cash!! However it was just lovely sitting and walking around in this lovely town with the gorgeous weather to match. After being holed up in rainy old Bogota it was nice to see some sun again however what I hadn't missed was the blood sucking insects that seem to love my tasty blood and which absolutely ate me alive....not happy Jan!
Etonces, my two days in this little town were just not long enough to satisy, but it was time to get myself back to Bogota and move on.
I almost forgot, the hostel! Amazing! it wasn't your typical hostel, dorm rooms, 24 hour reception, wi-fi and stairs. Instead it was an old farm house of some sort. One big building split into about 8 different rooms, each consisting of wonderfully different things including my room with three beds, double rooms, bathrooms and a glorious old school kitchen. Oh and this hostel also had an absolutely amazing garden, mum you would have loved it! A huge spans of lush green grass, gazibo, couches, outdoor settings and an exercise bike. All of this makes for a wonderful hostel, however the most important part of this hostel and why it will be forever special in my mind is the wonderfully charismatic and loving owner; Marta! What an amazing woman. I rocked up to the hostel without a reservation mid morning only to be greeted by hugs and kisses all round and Marta chanting 'me amor, me amor, tu quieres te, chocolate caliente, leche?! haha what a welcome and what a lovely way to spend two days, with a Spanish mother, doing just that, mothering me; making my very lumpy and solid hard rock bed, making crepes and hot chocolate on command, serving breakfast and other treats at all hours of the day and encouraging outdoor fires and beer! A true gem and the reason I love travelling so much. In the places you least expect it you find love. Or is it that love is everywhere, if you seek it. The love of a mother can never be replaced but it can be replaced temporarily. Marta @ El Solar hostel, Villa de Leyva, Colombia, do yourself a favour, feel the love!!
Gorgeous town, lovely hostel, beautiful two days!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb