Minca toTaganga


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Taganga
February 25th 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to the sounds of birds, frogs and cicadas. Got ready and into town by 7 45. Taxi was waiting with 4 people already in it and Roddy coming down the street. I squeezed into the front seat with the driver and a grandmother. Peter and Roddy got into the back with mama and her daughter. The grandmother kept crossing herself as we went around the corners. When we got near town the taxi began doing the scenic route through the suburbs, dropping off and picking up items. Got to the Santa Marta "bus station" safely and disengaged ourselves from the taxi.

Walked through a large market area to pick up the minibus to Taganga. Had breakfast with Roddy at one of the restaurants there. arepas con huevos (fried corn meal pockets filled with eggs, potatoes and onions with great sauces to put on top) and cafe con leche for 3, along with a bottle of purified water for $2.50 for all.

Caught a minibus back to Taganga with Roddy and got off at our hotel, Casa Technos Azules. To meet up with Roddy later. The hotel staff and the owner, Freddie, welcomed us back like old friends and gave us an even better deal on a room, 40,000 cop for a double with kitchen, bathroom and cable tv on a quiet side of the hotel. Settled in, shower, did laundry and watched tv for a while. Noticed a taxi going up the hill near our room and then back down. A half hour later he was still trying. Got several guys from the hotel and were able to push him up the hill and back onto the main road. Into town for a swim.

Many of the locals greeted us like old returning friends. Suprised they even remember us with all the people coming and going. Nice to go back to an area you already know. Spent some time talking with Mau and ran into Roddy for the obligatory beer. Got money from an ATM and coordinated our trip to Tayrona National Park the next day. Walked to Finca San Phillipe to set things up, looks like Dennis finally found his way out of town. Traded books for some new ones at "Literate", a book exchange near the soccer field run by a German lady. Nice place, Peter was able to get "The Old Patagonia Express" by Paul Thoreaux and I got "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell. Bought some food as people told us food was very expensive in Tayrona. Back to the Casa to pare our pack down to the minimum for the hike in tomorrow and left the rest with the owner.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb