Going Underground: The Vaca Caves


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » San Gil
March 7th 2009
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 707 (06.03.09)

Another day of adventures, this time we were going down under into the Vaca caves in Curiti not far from San Gil with our now established english and ozzie adventure activities group. Jumping in a minibus taxi a little later than planned we arrived at the office to our rather shy but nice guide Freddie. With hard hats and dodgy caving lamps in hand we took the 5 min walk through some local fields from the office to the cave entrance wondering quite what was in store for us.

The cave entrance looked quite innocuous as we approached, slightly buried in the bushes with an old metal ladder leading down into a crack in the rock. Once we were all in there we started our descent into the caving systyem. A couple of metres in and we were already in the water either wading (or in Chrissies case swimming) through the cave tunnel. During our hour and a half tour of the caves we passed a few furry friendly bats, saw some pretty incredible stalagmites and stalagtites, waded under a really low rock ceiling with our heads held high and crawled on our bellies through an extremely low roofed sandy section. You could say it was quite an adventure!

All emerging having had a thoroughly enjoyable time underground, we ended our time with Freddie by washing the clods of sand out of our shoes and pockets in a local stream.

Wandering through town we stopped for a humungous Almuerzo (set lunch) before continuing our walk out of town another hour or so to some swimming holes for the afternoon where we´d heard we'd be able to find some natural water chutes and jumping off spots. Walking on for another 15 minutes or so up the dirt track to the side of the first pool we found ourselves a beautiful spot and swam, sunbathed and chatted the afternoon away before walking back to Curiti for some pool and beers whilst we waited to catch the bus back to San Gil.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Vaca caveVaca cave
Vaca cave

Vic squeezes through
Vaca caveVaca cave
Vaca cave

Mind your head!
Vaca caveVaca cave
Vaca cave

In the cave with Vic, Nat and Liam
Vaca caveVaca cave
Vaca cave

"What's up?"
In townIn town
In town

Kids in Curiti
In townIn town
In town

Curiti Church


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb