Salento - coffee region


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Quindío » Salento
October 21st 2015
Published: October 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

image3 (1)image3 (1)image3 (1)

salento square
After 11 days in the city we decided to go to the countryside to relax a bit. 6 hours later and we were in Salento, a pretty city in Colombias coffee region. The town itself is small but very pretty, but its attractions lie in its surrounding areas. On the first day we decided to do a trek which promises amazing views of the area. Gary wasnt feeling up to it so me and Corrina went ourselves. They said it was 15k round trip, but was actually 20! You had to take a jeep (called Willies!!) for half an hour then walk the trail. I am not a natural hiker so i did find it very tough. Tough, but the scenery was so nice that it was really fun. Plus the weather was perfect and nothing like Tayrona so it definately helped. THough i do think the trek itself was harder but maybe felt equal due to the heat.

The first hour or so was ok, mainly rocks but flat-ish and included crossing a lot of water. We then went up to visit a hummingbird farm where we had our packed lunch and relaxed a bit. By thsi point we
image4 (1)image4 (1)image4 (1)

typical street
were completely exhusted and a break done us good. we had to backtrack the walk a bit and then start the really tough ascent. IT felt like almost rockclimbing it was so steep and by this point we were at about 2000m altitutde so constnantly felt short of breath. We persevered and got up, i have no idea how long it took but definately felt like an age! Once we got to the top, it had clouded over!! We could literally see the clouds moving over, which kind of obscured the view. Bit of a pity but it did clear and we got some amazing pics of the palm groves on the way down. We were so happy to reach the top bec ause we knew that this meant that the rest was all downhill until we finally got collected by Jeep again!

As you can see the descent offered some amazing views, it also got quite cold and we had to put on our jackets. 6 hours of walking later and we finally got onto the car, i dont think i have ever felt so done in in my life! Getting a shower and out of my clothes,
DSCN0809DSCN0809DSCN0809

starting trek
a rest and some well deserved food topped off a nice day.

After quite a few early rises it was time to sleep in, by that i mean about 9 hours sleep! We woke up and started another walk, this time to the coffee farm. IT was about an hour but was very pretty scnery and mainly downhill. We were greeted by the very sweet owner and soon started our coffee tour where we learned all about colombian coffee. It was a small local owned place so everything was done by hand, no machinery, and was an organic farm by status. They told us that it is very hard to get good coffee over here because 80% of the good stuff is exported abroad. This is true as i had never been that impressed by the coffee here when i thought itd be amazing. We got to sample some and it was delicious. IT was really interesting to hear the process, especially done by hand. Big respect for the workers and for keeping it local and fresh.

At time of posting, it is my last night in salento. Tomorrow we leave for Bogota, and on monday we leave colombia (sob!). We are going to a pub where they play a local tradition of drinking and gunpowder. Who knows what to expect!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

DSCN0814DSCN0814
DSCN0814

rickety bridge
DSCN0828DSCN0828
DSCN0828

met this wee creature!
DSCN0835DSCN0835
DSCN0835

hummingbirds
DSCN0843DSCN0843
DSCN0843

at the peak amongst the clouds
image2 (1)image2 (1)
image2 (1)

flower at the top
DSCN0854DSCN0854
DSCN0854

palm tree groves
DSCN0866DSCN0866
DSCN0866

coffee farm
DSCN0869DSCN0869
DSCN0869

roasted beans
DSCN0871DSCN0871
DSCN0871

using grinder!
image1 (1)image1 (1)
image1 (1)

coffee farm owner


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb