Carribean Coast and Andean Mountains


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Quindío » Salento
April 4th 2009
Published: April 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After finishing The Lost City treck we decided it was time for some R & R and headed for Parque National Tyrona on the carribean coast. Our time there mainly consisted of relaxing by the beach, snorkelling on coral reefs, cooking by the campfires and sleeping in hammocks.

Before long we felt rejuvenated and hit Taganga, a Caribbean diving town with a party atmosphere. Dave took the opportunity to head out for a couple of dives at the nearby coral reef, while I chilled on the beach enjoying fruit smoothies. Luckily our stay coincided with the weekly beach rave located in a small bay reached only by boat.

Our next stop was the historic town of Cartagena, which had some beautiful colonial buildings. We spent some time wondering around the old town and wandering the city walls. Cartagena is also home to the biggest fort in South America, at which we spent an afternoon exploring the towers and the flooded underground towers.

From Cartagena we travelled south to the party town of Medellin. Our time here pretty much consisted of checking out Zona Rosa, (Medellin´s bar district). However, I did manage to tear myself away and go paragliding one afternoon. Although petrifying it was a great experience. We flew over the city and the surrounded mountains and some massive waterfalls. We had a great time in Medellin which was topped off by joining the long list of people who had their camera stolen in the city, more annoyingly we also lost our photos from the last 2 weeks (taxi driver has defiantly earned some bad karma).

After buying a new camera we left Medellin and the Columbian tourist trail. On arriving in Manizales we instantly felt a massive temperature drop due to its location high in the Andes. We then headed to the nearby village of Salento. Without knowing we arrived on Easter weekend but were lucky enough to get the last bed in the village, staying with the local family on their farm. We spent a few days enjoying the quiet village life, and tried out some nearby mountain bike trails. The village people also prided themselves on their specialty dish, brown trout in white wine and mushroom sauce which we had to test!…mmmmmm. Close by was Valle de Cocora and its towering 60 meter wax palms. We spent the day hiking around the valley and taking in the amazing scenery.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SalentoSalento
Salento

Trout for dinner
SalentoSalento
Salento

Moutain biking
SalentoSalento
Salento

Mountain biking
SalentoSalento
Salento

Mountain biking
Valle de CocoraValle de Cocora
Valle de Cocora

You can just about spot Dave at the bottom of the wax palm


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb