Alumbrados de Colombia and Christmas.


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Quindío » Armenia
December 25th 2008
Published: June 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Alumbrado en CaliAlumbrado en CaliAlumbrado en Cali

Christmas holiday lights
In Colombia during Christmas, almost anywhere you go you will see Christmas lights... but Im not just talking about plain old Christmas lights you see on Christmas trees... Im talking huge displays of lights in the shape of flowers, animals, people, cars etc. called alumbrados. I had heard of these lights my whole life, so when I went to Colombia and saw just how amazing they were I couldn't believe it! The ones I saw in Cali and in Armenia are located in huge parks. I dont know where they store these after Christmas is over because I imagine they'd need a warehouse to store them, they're so big!

I really enjoyed Christmas in Colombia. Los alumbrados are something unique and special in Colombia. You have families hosting novenas, which are a series of traditional prayers and Christmas songs mainly for kids to enjoy. And then of corse theres that special Christmas feeling in the atmosphere. On Christmas eve expect to party well into the next day and eat so much natilla and bunelos you almost pop! Natilla and bunellos are the signature Colombian pastries, and the ones that will ALWAYS be prepared and reserved on Christmas. The natilla is
Alumbrado en ArmeniaAlumbrado en ArmeniaAlumbrado en Armenia

Loving the Christmas lights display
like a beige pudding made with milk and cinnamon, And the bunelo is like a round cheese ball that compliments the taste of the delicious natilla, thats why they are always eaten together. Our party ended at 8ish-9ish the next morning... I had no idea I could stay up THAT late, so rest up cause you will need it! That, and maybe a big sancocho (soup) the next day for your hangover 😊

Going back to how we celebrate Christmas in Colombia, the gift giving begins on Christmas Eve. There's usually one house everyone ends up at, designated as the "party house" and that's where everyone will get together for gift swamping, eating, and partying for the whole night. This house ended up being Victor's tia Cristina's house, and they were anticipating a turn out of about 30 people! So the feast of food prepared would have to feed most of those people, they began really early so that they'd have all the food ready by the evening.

Something clever they decided to do weeks before Christmas was to play secret Santa, which is when everyone draws a name out of a hat and that's the person you buy a gift for. That way you don't go crazy buying gifts for everyone at the party! Three special guests invited to our Christmas party were Japanese immigrants that had worked with Cristina as registered nurses and had been living in Colombia for years. I loved hearing them speak Spanish, and they even had the Colombian accent (which Victor and I don't even have!) They were so sweet and I really enjoyed making these new Japanese-Colombian friends! Once the gift swapping was done, we ate, and then moved the party out to the front patio where everyone could sit together drinking Aguardiente and have room to dance. Ballenatos, Merrengue, Salsa, and Cumbia are the usual choices of music for Colombians, and you could hear it loud and clear coming from all the party houses in the neighborhood. It was a great night of friends, family, love, and the love of partying! Colombians have partying built in their blood before they're even born!

So to summarize, Colombia is definitely worth the visit during Christmas time! They serve delicious natilla and bunelos, and sancocho as a soup for hangover cures. There are huge Christmas light displays called alumbrados all over the towns and cities, as well as regular festive Christmas lights. And its a special time for partying with the ones you love. Just be prepared, cause the partying don't stop till 8 in the morning and the Aguardiente shots don't stop coming!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Christmas decor on houseChristmas decor on house
Christmas decor on house

Many Colombian homes will be decorated with lights like this for Christmas time
Parque de la Vida AlumbradoParque de la Vida Alumbrado
Parque de la Vida Alumbrado

Alumbrado del Parque de la Vida en Armenia


Tot: 0.508s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 34; qc: 144; dbt: 0.1898s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb