Cartagena


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
July 12th 2006
Published: July 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

An hours flight up the country and what a difference, hit by the heat as soon as we stepped off the plane...we´d gone from 16 in Bogota to 32 up here...Proper little paradise, palm trees everywhere..You know the score....

Had a hotel called Tres Banderas which is built in the old part of the city which is within a huge wall built in the 15th century to keep out all the English Pirates, but they let us in...GArrrrr!

Hotel was amazing, outside our room was a waterfall with banana and orange trees...Gower was pleased about the banana trees as he could give any black girls he might pull a free breakfast!!

Went into the town and decided to stay close to the hotel for the first night, of course though we ended up drunk, miles from the hotel and again very lost...A couple of day´s ago that might have worried us but we got the Colombians sussed there is no trouble over here at all, the people are amazing..Shame it´s got such a bad reputation, will guarantee though this will be a major tourist spot in a couple of years..Even now when people see you they make a pont of crossing the road to shake your hand and say thank you for visiting Colombia.

For a Carribean beach they are not that impressive, don´t get me wrong it´s better tham Bognor but was expecting a bit more..Not really a sun worshipper though so that doesn´t bother me really...Had a kick about there all the same and our nikeball we bought in Madrid proved pretty popular, before you knew it we were swarmed by people asking if they could join in...

Lot´s of people about at night but no real bar scene, most places are just restaurants so we ended up sat drinking in there all night, still not seen a single other tourist bit strange....


City had a major power cut that night which took out literally everything, traffic lights street lights all the bars the lot...Rather strangely this was when we decided to explore the new town and go outside the wall, had a few beers but not really much fun sat in a bar in complete quiet and darkness so decided to go back.....Power was finally back on but now the water had gone..I had been gagging for a shower all day and it was still 30 degrees at 02.00....

Checked out the hotel the following morning but got a bit of a shock, the water had come back on during the night and whilst I was messing about with the taps whilst drunk hours before I had somehow managed to lave the taps on and put in the plug on the sink..Woke up to 3 inches of water throughout the whole room, luckilly we were on the ground floor as convinced the ceiling would have given way otherwise, so 07.00 and bailing out a room with a bin before it gets noticed and we have a nice little bill to pay....

Met a lovely bird this morning, unfortunately it was a toucan and it nicked my breakfast!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.3kb