Pirates and Pablo, Moustaches and Mullets


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
January 16th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent four days in Cartagena, an old Spanish colonial city that was a favourite target for pirates. We spent hours wandering around getting lost in the old city, exploring little shops and restaurants, and walking along the city walls. We stayed at a lovely hostel called Casa Viena, which I highly recommend to anyone. We did a day trip to a mud volcano. It was just a little pimple of a volcano but you could climb into and float in the mud. It was very bizarre but tons of fun! We tried to arrange a boat trip to a bunch of nearby coral reef islands and a beach, but the boats were cancelled due to rough seas and a tsunami warning.

We finally left the coast and caught a night bus to Medellin, Pablo Escobar's city. The stories we heard were true - the buses crank the air con so it is frigid inside! Luckily I had my little travel blanket. Medellin was nice, lots of good shopping in our area. We went to a museum and saw a bunch of Botero statues, but we were too exhausted from our night bus to do anything else. The mullet appears to be very fashionable here.

Next stop, coffee region!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb