The walled city


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our overnight bus arrived about 9.30 am and we caught a taxi through a frenzy of traffic, donkey carts and people. Along the way some people banged on the taxi and were yelling, we didn't know what was happening, but the driver just sped off and then Paul said someone had been run over. It we had stopped we could have taken the person to hospital but we were well passed before we realised what was happening. It made me very sad to think the driver ignored those people. This place is really hot, we sweat like anything. It is very warm at night and we need no blankets, in fact the hostel does not have any. We dropped off our packs and went out for a walk along the top of the defensive walls of the city. They go for miles. These walls were made over 200 years and were made to keep pirates out. Especially that sea dog cur Francis Drake. Most of the walls were 10 meters thick, made of coral rocks. Some places had water storage facilities and dungeons. They enclose the old part of the city and this is where most back packers stay. Lots of high rises over the the west on the outside of the walls. We got so hot we had to head back for a rest. Temp about 40 degrees during the day and about 25-30 at night.

We had another vegetarian lunch and bought a huge watermelon to get fluids into us, as it was flowing very freely. We had tea off a roadside vendor - pork and salad and some sort of sweet potato, plus a sausage of unknown origin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb