Cartagena, Columbia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
January 19th 2019
Published: January 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The city of Cartagena , known in the Colonial era as Cartagena de India's is a major port founded in 1533. Located on the Northern coast of Columbia in the Caribbean coast region. Became the main port of trade between Spain and established it's importance by the early 1940's

The city was founded on June 1 1533 and named Cartagena. Settlement in the region around Cartagena Bay by various Indigenous people dates back to 4000 bc. During the Spanish Colonial period Cartagena served as a key role in administration and expansion of the Spanish empire. It was the center of Political, ecclesiastical and economic activity.

When the Spanish conquistadors discovered the interior of Columbia was rich in gold and emeralds wealth of all kinds flowed to spain. The fortune soon invited pirate attacks. The defense the King ordered a 50 foot thick wall built and the streets made narrow and crooked, designed for protection during assault. Cartagena was a victim to sieges during the 16th century the famous being led by Sir Francis Drake. Today Cartagena's wealth is still centered around emeralds and coffee.

In 1984 Cartagena's Colonial walled city and Fortress were designated a world Heritage site. The city is lovely scenery but it is a tourist stop be prepared if you are a country person they sure can pounce on you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



The BurrowThe Burrow
The Burrow

Forced a picture and then forced pay




Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb