Wow, Under a scorching sun in Puerto Berrio, Antioquia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Antioquia
October 7th 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hey Friends,

Now it is the time to show you one of the most beautiful counties in Colombia, that is Antioquia. The capital, wow, but people do not actually know all the amazing villages around Medellin, that might leave you flabbergasted. Here I start with some of the rural villages of this lovely department.





Puerto Berrío makes me think of the big bridge. at only 4 hours from Bucaramanga, it was the right place to start the visits to Antioquia



Why Puerto Berrío?





Reading on the net, I found that the name belongs to Pedro Justo Berrío, a former governor of Antioquia (1864-1875) who actually led a rebellion against the opposing party and kept Antioquia within the Colombian Union.





As it is located near the Magdalena River, the village played an important role as a port in the trade of the country. What's more, its former railroad allowed the village to distribute goods to other important places, notably the capital, Medellin.





After a fire and an armed conflict, the importance of the town decreased largely. but thanks to government's efforts, the village has recovered some of the importance it had in the past and given its location in the middle of two Colombian departments, the village enjoy some notoriety nowadays.



It is bloody hot




I don´t think people are going to choose Pto Berrio as a tourist destination as there is nothing to see apart from the bridge and once you´ve crossed it over, you´re done. I suppose it is okay if you want to go to a nearby village like Puerto Olaya or Pierna Dorada but I don´t think you´ll be willing to stand a quite boiling day there because...Oh my God, being there for a day is bloody hot, it is even worse than being in Cucuta, lots of humidity and I don´t think the breeze blows through any part of the day. And the problem is that you cannot find a swimming pool near you:









Some important landmarks





Its bridge, built between 1954 and 1961, is the link between Antioquia and our department, Santander. It was nice to see all kinds of vehicle go over the bridge, while there I saw three people in a motorbike.





The church of Our Lady of Sorrows is a gothic style church, the interior is beautiful and lends itself to be a place for prieres.



The Old Railway Station: There is not much left from a very popular place, let's not forget that people wanting to travel to other regions in the country needed to use it.





In the parks, you'll find different busts honoring some of the important men in the village notably Simon Bolívar, its founder Ricardo Giraldo and Pedro Berrio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb