Tsunami Awareness Program


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
September 24th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

tsunami signtsunami signtsunami sign

if you see a large wave, run in this direction
A few observations and facts on Chile....

1. There is a Chilean food called Calzones Rotos, which means "Ripped Panties". It's actually a sweet, doughy dessert.

2. Chile is an active earthquake and volcano region. The coastal regions of North Chile in have tsunami awareness programs, and towns have signs on every street corner showing tsunami evacuation routes. One valuable piece of advice in the tsunami information leaflets is "do not go towards the water to watch a tsunami" AS IF! There was a major tsunami in 1960 which reached a height of 11 metres. No way would I have been watching that bad boy. I'd be legging it for sure!

3. It was not possible to get divorced in Chile until an official divorce law was passed in 2004

4. Just when you think you know South America food, you reach Chile and it´s a whole new set of words! For example, the simple ham-and-cheese sandwich is known as an "Aliado". When toasted, it is called a "Barros Jarpa".

5. Chileans are obsessed with receipts. You literally get a receipt for ANYTHING you pay for, including internet and public toilets

6. The whole country
New Orleans?New Orleans?New Orleans?

Nope, this is the Colonial style architecture in the northen city of Iquique
is also hot dog crazy!! Every street has a shop selling them. But they are not called "Perro Caliente" like in the rest of the continent. They are called a "completo", and are served smothered in mayonaisse and guacamole (two toppings which in my opinion have no place on a hot dog)

7. Chile had the death penalty until 2001

8. There is a Chilean tradition of drinking tea at a particular time of day. It is called "onces" (elevenses). Sounds familiar? However, for some reason it is served at 5 o´clock instead of 11

9. I have heard some odd things on Chilean radio, but the strangest has been a ping-pong championship. All you could hear was the squeak of trainers on the floor, and the fast POK-POK-POK of the ball being smashed to and fro. How dull!!! I would rather watch the International Paint-Drying Championships ("and England are doing well. Their lick of midnight-blue emulsion is drying a treat. Let´s watch that again in slow motion")

10. Santiago is surrounded by mountains, and it is possible to go skiing for the day. I know this because I did. You get to the slopes for
Graffiti ArtistsGraffiti ArtistsGraffiti Artists

magnificent works of graffiti are common in the Bellavista region of Santiago
10am, and have a good seven hours skiing until the coach takes you back.

11. There is an isolated peninsular in South Chile where they have some bizarre mythology and traditional beliefs which are still active today. Check them out! (thanks to www.loneleyplanet.com for these)

BRUJOS - These are the central beings in their mythology. Brujos are evil warlocks that use black magic to corrupt people and destroy their lives. They are based in a secret location, probably a cave.

INVUNCHE - This fearsome creature guards the cave of the Brujos. He was born human, but has been disfigured by the Brujos. They turned his head 180 degrees, attached one leg to his spine and sowed one of his arms uder his skin. He eats human flesh and drinks cats milk.

EL CALEUCHE - This is a glowing pirate ship which is piloted by the evil Brujos. They sail around singing and dancing, and drawing other sailors to their doom. The ship can sail against the wind and also navigate under water

LA VOLADORA - A witch messenger who works for the Brujos. She vomits out her intestines to make herself light enough to fly,
santiagosantiagosantiago

clean, modern and safe
then swallows them again once her message has been delivered

TRAUCO - a foul and powerful forest gnome who can kill with a single look and fell any tree with his tiny hatchet. He is irresistable to virgins, and gives them erotic dreams and sometime a mysterious child out of wedlock


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Valle NevadoValle Nevado
Valle Nevado

a ski resort on the outskirts of Santiago
the Virgin Marythe Virgin Mary
the Virgin Mary

at the highest point in Santiago, with speakers blaring out "soothing" music


18th October 2007

vamos chilenos!
sorry about the title. i was reading your blog at halftime between chile and peru for the world cup 2010 qualifier (yes, that was a horrible and terribly boooooring chile-mexico game you had to suffer through....the worst i've ever seen). what a wonderful adventure you're on. i'm glad you've gotten to know chile and their hot dogs (i think there's nothing better than avocado/palta on a hot dog). just two points. the "peninsula" whose folklore you very accurately describe is actually an island called chiloé. their tales are mostly based on a blend of indigenous and spanish tales. also, the iquique's architecture is not "colonial". i'm not even sure it existed in colonial times. it used to be bolivian but was taken by chile in the war of the pacific (1879-1884). the architecture dates from the 1890's-1915 period, during the nitrate boom. anyway, your blogs are very interesting and well written. you are defintely squeezing all the juice out of your trip and wallowing in the particularities of every country, something too few adventurers are willing to do. good luck with the rest of your travels. ¡cheers!
18th October 2007

er, not colonial after all
Hi James. Thanks for correcting me! Always helpful for someone to point out historical blunders in my blog. History and architecture aren't my strengths! cheers, enjoy your travels Pete (lobstercheeks)
18th October 2007

Hotdogs
I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting mayo and guac on a hotdog. However, there must also ALWAYS be cheese.
18th October 2007

Oops
I submitted that last comment before I wanted to!! I just wanted to say Pete that I am very grateful to you; reading your blog has really helped to while away the boring days at work!! It really is a masterpeice, you should get it published!!
18th October 2007

whoops....
oops, i accidentally told you iquique used to be bolivian. it was actually peruvian (i forgot that they still have the old peruvian custom's house near the docks). my error may be due to the fact i was watching the chile-peru game and the last thing i wanted to do was think about peru (i'm chilean). anyway, i corrected my attempted correction. saludos! (cheers!) (chile won 2-0 btw)

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb