Vina del Mar


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
November 30th 2011
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

From Valparaiso we went to Vina del Mar. These two cities are almost next to each other, but where Valparaiso is a busy port, Vina del Mar is a beach resort. Absolutely beautiful beaches, but rough surf and, from what I understand, the water is ALWAYS cold. The temperature also was cooler there than here in Santiago.

We had lunch across from the beach at a seafood restaurant called Los Pomairinos, not fancy and very lively with typical music playing. I had a fish topped with sauteed shrimp and the shrimp were very small, although tasty. Lots of salmon dishes. Of course I had my usual pisco sour. The best I've had so far.

We also stopped at a museum that featured artifacts from the area indians, the Mapuche. They were ferocious to the point that they kept the Incas from expanding to this region. I also understand they are still around and keep a lot of their traditions intact. Bonus! I saw a moai from Easter Island! Well, I actually took a picture with him! 😊

One disappointing thing was that we were not able to see a park in Vina del Mar which is supposed to be spectacular, where they have a famous music festival every year, the Festival International de Vina. There is a strike going on. Workers or parks, many museums, etc., are on strike and those places are closed. We were not able to get into one park in Santiago yesterday where they have an impressive image of the Inmaculate Conception which is the patron Virgin Mary of Santiago and, although not as big as the Rio de Janeiro Christ, they are proud that they have his mother. They have funiculars of their own that go up and down that hill. Ah! Maybe next time.

Oh, Vina del Mar also has horse carriages like in New Orleans, but much fancier. More in the style of the 1800s society carriages, with pretty horses instead of mules.

It is 6:30 PM. The sun is still high up in the sky so we'll wait a while for cocktail hour.

Tomorrow I am touring two vineyards, Villa Aquitania and Sangre y Toro. I picked Sangre y toro for being the largest and Aquitania because you can see some of the very old equipment they used to use to make the wine.

Tomorrow will mark the end of most of the sightseeing. Friday's plans are for a Spa, and Saturday we are going to a "Parrillada" (Barbeque party) for somebody's birthday. Of course, Sunday I fly home.

These days have passed very quickly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb