In the beginning . ..


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the beginning (NOTE MUCH HAS CHANGED) =)

Right so after some consultation with Inglaterra it seems that have not explained any of the first few weeks. Thus step into your time machine, stand aside Michael J Fox because we are about to go right back to week 1 - 2 and work forth from there. Lets just pretend just left the country (and the past few weeks of English sun have only just begun):

Arrival at the jardin was over-awing and after mucho meet, greats and bessitoes all over the face (it became clear I had rememberd/learnt no Spanish despite returning to the hole of swindon new college for 2 months) I wanted nothing more than to pass out and self absorbently question why I was doing this . However, after the overnight flight from Atlanta, and a kip in the car from Santiago airport, sleep - the sole sport I once thought I had perfected - was impossible. So grabbing my bag and a book I decided to head out into this town called La Calera. I told Clare what I was about to do and made my way to the door, where I was halted - unable to figure out the alarm system. Pressing a button not only triggered the buzzer, but mamma uno y mamma dos to come careering forth from the kitchen and frantically gesticulate. After a quick game of charades, where they reenacted muggers stealing my bag I set off.

La Calera is in the centro of Chile (which has like one of the longest coastlines in the world 6,435 km bordering the pacific - to get to the north from La Calera it’s a 23 hour bus ride). Calera used to be a mining town, tho bares no resemblance to a small welsh village. The streets are paved, people wear shoes - this isn´t some provincial, poverty stricken backwater. Although for some reason zebra crossings stop half way across the road. Everywhere you go there are dogs. You wills be followed. They roam in packs. Mismatched breeds and sizes. Terriers taking the lead over alsations. The small runty leader and comedy Doberman sidekick. Pretty harmless, they either completely ignore you or covertly follow behind. General stranger danger precautions seems to work, cross the road if the hounds getting a bit grizzley that sort of thing.

Graffitti is everywhere, but this is the most amazing ever, not just letters sprayed everywhere but proper artistic masterpieces. One wall, which is about 200 metres long has different murals that were painted to celebrate la calera, and somehow even the sions of the cement factory look appealing. Will try and get some pictures - but still a little aprahensive of wacknig out the camera to take a picture of the wall. GRINGA alert. AIM FOR TOMORROW.

La Jardin is built on the back of the house, which is like the biggest in the nieghbourhood. There are 3 classrooms for the different age groups and all are decorated with your usual sort of paraphanaelia, pictures of trees and smiling suns etc. Particaular attention should be brought to the bathroom which consist of 9 miniature toilets all in a row, facing 9 minature sinks. No cubicles. Everyone all together now - 1 , 2 pee (see picture).

On my first evening Miss Maria (a Duran) and Miss Mecheta (who helps out at the house) presented themselves to me as ´Mamma uno y mamma dos´. Most lovely thing ever, don´t understand a word of what they´re saying but its generally about second helpings for food. The food so far seems to be lots of rice with some sort of meat and mayonnaise. Mucho mucho mayonnaise. Also will definitely be getting my 5 a day in salad form, you don´t get a side dish rather an entire plate of lettuce, onion and tomato which is to be seasoned with lemon and salt. The main meal of the day (amorsel) is served at lunch time, while at about 7 bread (pan), cheese (queso) y ham (jambon) coupled with tea and lashings of sugar.


The Duran family from England have 5 days left of their holiday, and the children in the jardin are utterly in love with them. Its nice to have some English company but feel utterly useless. The teachers want me to take a class and I can´t DO anything!!! Even give simple instructions, nor can I explain to the teachers what I want the children to do as a 3 year old will try and climb out the window during the attempted explanation!!! ARGHH, whoever said you don´t need to speak the language was a liar. Feel like dong a ruddy good example of the ignorant English person. First two weeks are NOT EASY. Yes this my friends is hwy there is no blog, because I am exhausted and emotionally ´down´(understatement). Hate not feeling can do job.

The other English teacher however is amazing. Miss Claudia - estupendo. She has lived in America for 2 years on her mormon mission, where she worked in the museum dedicated to the latter day saints. And not only does she speak English, but she knows about American culture so we´re able to have a thorough discussion on the backstreet boys.

First two weeks I carry a notebook and a dictionary with me everywhere. The dictionary is now referred to as my ´meyor amigo´(best friend) - miss england mucho, even hells bells and brucey.


Most heard Chiean words.

Gringa - White person (meant to only be an American but pasty-blonde qualifies tambien it seems).
Pololo - boyfriend, tu tiene un pololo?
Baille - Dance (hand in hand with the other, no wander its so important here. Whenever go to a party its the same, no dance without a partner)
Listo - FACT.
Falta - Missing something
Po - not the teltubby. Add to the end of any sentence. Si PO, No Po, Que PO.
-itto - add to the end of any word to impla something is small or someone is young, pancito, alfredito, chickiditto.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb