Mendoza...again! I can´t get enough


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
November 30th 1999
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For part of Independence Day vacation Carlos and I went to Mendoza, Argentina...again. This is my 3rd trip, Carlos´2nd. Mendoza is such a nice, clean, calm, friendly place to visit. It´s cheap and the food is great! So we figured why not. This blog has photos of the HUGE park, the zoo and the crossing back into Chile! It was very cold and long.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The park entrance The park entrance
The park entrance

The park is huge. We ended up taking a tour by bus and it lasted more than 1 hour. I can´t imagine if we had tried to walk it.
The Argentinian Army monumentThe Argentinian Army monument
The Argentinian Army monument

This monument was very impressive. The bronze work was done by a Uruguyan sculture. The detail was incredible.
At the topAt the top
At the top

There is a big hill in the park that, at the top, is a monument to the Argentinian army. This is 1 view from the top...at my beautiful love Carlos!
Carlos´other love...catsCarlos´other love...cats
Carlos´other love...cats

I know. It´s kind of weird but he loves cats. Whenever he sees one, wherever we are, he has to stop and pet it. At the top of the hill near the monument there was a family of 8 cats. He was in heaven!
The zooThe zoo
The zoo

The zoo was in the park. It was rather big. We walked the whole thing in maybe 2 hours. It was a cold day in Mendoza, maybe 50 degrees. One thing I found rather interesting is that the barriers between the visitors and the animals are very minimal: a small chain-link fence or bars. Good for picture taking, bad for little children and their arms!
Its hard to see but its a really small baby monkey!!!Its hard to see but its a really small baby monkey!!!
Its hard to see but its a really small baby monkey!!!

I found it a bit disheartening to see monkeys, that live in tropical environments, huddled together to stay warm in cold Mendoza. They have no way to regulate the temperature in the cages so the monkeys are cold. It was a sad/pathetic site.
Plaza de IndependenciaPlaza de Independencia
Plaza de Independencia

We had fun experimenting with the camera at night in the plaza.
Us on the long busride back to SantiagoUs on the long busride back to Santiago
Us on the long busride back to Santiago

The ride is usually about 7 hours. HOWEVER, you have to stop at the border and go through customs. The border is a big tin shed in the middle of the Andes Mountains. And let me remind you it´s still winter up there at 12000 ft. It was snowing and freezing cold. You have to get off the bus and wait your turn. 2 hours waiting. We were not happy campers!


9th November 2007

Pictures........ahhhhhhhh
The pictures are wonderful! It is especially good seeing you and Carlos. You both look happy! The scenery in the areas you travel is breathtaking. Thank you for sharing..........:}

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb