I'm hideous!


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
January 1st 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.0206, -71.5548I feel like crap. A sore throat from screaming last night, exhaustion from not sleeping much last night, and from not sleeping the night before ... I felt like crap, but I couldn't sleep, so I crawled out of bed. I went to the bathroom, flipped on the light, looked in the mirror and ... OMG!!!! This facial sunburn is unreal - have you ever seen the movie Darkman, wher... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

e3e3
e3

Seeing some people eating what looked like a delicious, bubbling cauldron of seafood, I had to try it. Mariscal cocido was the name - it should've been called crap, instead! Huge razor clams that hadn't been cleaned properly and were thus very gritty, mussels, shrimps, egg ... everything was overcooked, and the dish was terribly salty. Normally, I can finish crappy food, but couldn't even make it halfway through this atrocious meal. I completely lost my appetite, even though I was starving ... at least the Escudo beer was decent.
e5e5
e5

Feeling unfulfilled after that terrible lunch, we wandered back to Plaza Sotomayor to grab a drink - a cafe cortado (which was decent), and a sickly-sweet lemon pie. Any Asians out there should be familiar with those Sugus-brand candies - well, it tasted a lot like the lemon version. Pretty bad ...
kk
k

Up in the hills of Valpo.
k2k2
k2

The view of the hills of Valpo.
ll
l

Trying to be artistic with my camera.
l1l1
l1

Over the years, I've tired of classical art and sometimes prefer graffiti.
mm
m

Some cool stencil art.
oo
o

Yup, they still hate Pinochet here, and rightfully so.
p1p1
p1

A psychotic-looking Charlie Chaplin.
p2p2
p2

"Weapon of mass distraction"
qq
q

Cool fountain, possibly taken at Plaza Blanco.
rr
r

The Sacred Heart church - kind of a surprise, because it's a rather nice spot in a pretty dreary and rundown part of Valpo.
ss
s

The place where we had drinks and chorrillana, last night.
s1s1
s1

Along the way back to the hotel, I picked up some crappy apple cake that was sort of half pie and half cake, but was good as neither. If only it was as sweet as the girl who sold it to me ...
tt
t

I'm not sure what this was - it could've been Ben having a nap, or it could've been a mummy. Maybe I should wrap my face up like that, to spare the public from having to see my melting face.
zkzk
zk

Cafe de Iris - neat little place for a drink and a snack.
zlzl
zl

Dinner at Brighton - after some bad bread to start, my Chilean sea bass arrived - the fish was juicy and delicious, but the accompanying "Wok vegetables" were horrible. Carrots, bell peppers, and zucchini - soggy, limp, and drenched in soy sauce. Disgusting!
zzzzzz
zzz

The "blanket" at DH&M's hostel. And BTW - Mauricio, if you're reading this, I love the Autobots shirt!
zzz1zzz1
zzz1

And here's their shower ... eewww!!!!



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb