Last Day in Santiago, off to Valparaiso and Back to Santiago


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Now that I was in the know about the changing of the guard, I had my plan of attack. First on my list was to finish packing my stuff, store it and check out of the hotel. Next was a déjà vu of my first day. I went to the café across the street and had a smoked salmon bagel and café Americano. Things were falling into place and I couldn’t be happier. After a quick Metro ride, I was in front o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

San Cristobal HillSan Cristobal Hill
San Cristobal Hill

Looking from Santa Lucia. This is where the funicular is that I went up on Speeding things up in Santiago



21st March 2014

Go where the wind blows or the bus goes
Sometimes you just need to jump on the bus and see where it takes you. You've jammed a lot into these days...action packed and more ice cream! Lovely sunny days. Keep those blogs coming.
21st March 2014

It is all an adventure
My thought in a situation like that is that I can always grab a taxi to where I should have gone in the first place. Sometimes the journey is the point of the exercise. And never say no to ice cream!
22nd March 2014
Valparaiso

Voluptuous Valpo
So glad you enjoyed wonderful Valpo with its incredible colors and energy! I remember that green Anglican church in this photo--picturesque neighborhoods to wander up there. So what was the museum in Santiago you visited--maybe the Pre-Columbian or the Museum of Memory about the Pinochet period? Those were my 2 faves, though there were also fine others. Glad you enjoyed the ice cream--orange-ginger and one with beets were my faves. Yum!
22nd March 2014
Valparaiso

Valpo cetainly was Voluptuous
It was a great city to start the descent back towards the end of vacation and all too sudden jolt of the reality of being on my way home. I really enjoyed simply wandering, riding the funiculars and of course the ice cream. I don't remember what the museum in Santiago was, but it was very small. I think it was the Anthropological Museum. It was actually only 1 room, but I did feel virtuous by being there. See what a good influence you are. Oh, my post card was waiting for me at work. Thank you so much.
24th March 2014
Cars Hung by Clothespins

hanging cars
Are you sure there wasn't a car wash nearby and they were just hanging the cars up to dry? lol Loving the pictures! Looks like you're having a great time! :)
24th March 2014
Cars Hung by Clothespins

Car Wash
Oh Deb, I just laughed at the thought of that, thank you. once I gave some serious consideration, I realized that they just aren't that fastidious about cleanliness, so the car wash probably wasn't it. But what a great great thought. Thank you so much for the chuckle.
28th March 2014

chago
i've enjoyed your detailed travelog, reliving some of my travels in bolivia and chile. just a quick note on the changing of the guard. those are not soldiers, they are police officers. the police are not part of the military, though they can be regarded as a militarized police force (so can the american police, with their helicopters, body armour, machine guns, armoured vehicles, and battering rams). it is a national police force based on the italian national police, the carabineri (hence "carabinero" in chile). too bad about the hamburger, but chileans make crappy burgers. you would have been better off eating a chararero or a churrasco sandwhich. doggies is also considered to be the worst of the hot dog places, but it'll work in a pinch. santiago does need to improve its communication with tourists. there are a couple of tourist offices (near plaza de armas and in providencia) but not well marked. santiago is a city that rewards the patient traveller. it's not as in your face as buenos aires or rio. the city has a subtle personality, much like chileans themselves. i hope you made it to other parts of the city, like the plaza brasil area to the west of downtown or plaza ñuñoa which is southeast of downtown. anywho. happy trails!
31st March 2014

Thank you for the clarification
I always want to have correct information, so will adjust the blog. I really appreciate the comments and info. True, a hamburger was probably not the best choice, and I knew it, but a few Californians were talking about a hamburger chain and I started craving a burger. Unfortunately after eating that one I was still craving a burger. lol I enjoyed Santiago, but did not really have as much time there as I needed. Flights from Bolivia weren't working well with my schedule. That just means I will need to head back. Again, thanks for the comments.
14th May 2014

Valparaiso streets.....
....looks like a great place for street photography. First in best dressed with the changing of the guards, fair enough you keep your place at the front!

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 47; qc: 163; dbt: 0.1791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb