Just a short one this time...


Advertisement
Published: April 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Looking down over ValparaisoLooking down over ValparaisoLooking down over Valparaiso

There were loads of hills all over the city, and you could spend hours exploring them all. You could just be walking along and then suddenly see the most amazing view down over the whole city.
Hey guys just a quick one before we head off on a five day hike around the Torres del Paine. It will just be like camping in england as its cold in the south and rains alot, so we have had a lifes worth of training!
Had loads of fun in Valparaiso. At first it was a bit dodgy as we stayed near the bus station and were the only tourists for miles-people just stared at us all the time as if we were freaks, so was a bit intimadating (please dont all make loads of comments now about how we are freaks and they should stare!!) hehe! We obviously moved somewhere else the next day, nice little area called Concepcion which had all the acsensors (lifts up the sides of the hills) and was a lot more geared to tourists! Went on loads of the lifts and did a walking tour which gave you amazing views over the city.When out that night and got merry,cool little bar that had live music.Ended up chatting to the the barman who was a 24 year old boy scout! He was coming to England next year for the worldwide Jamboree!! I think he was
The hills are alive...The hills are alive...The hills are alive...

But not with the sound of music. No no. Generally its ringing with the noise of the hundreds of street dogs barking. Nice! Our hostel was at the top of this hill. Boy I´m fit now! Hehe!
going to get a nasty shock when he got there and realised everyone else was 8 years old!!
Went to Vina del Mar on Sunday to watch Everton play. Obviously this was the only reason why I (Rich) wanted to come to Chile! Had a wander round the stadium in the day and tried to get a football top, but none of the shops sold them, even though its the local team!! (I could have got a Man Utd one, but red just isn´t my colour!). The game was cool though first half was pretty boring, but second half Everton should have scored a few times but kept hitting the post. Then they gave away a penalty and ended up losing 2-0. Its a bit like watching Everton back home...dominate a game and then can´t score for toffee!

So we are now in Puerto Natales in the very south of Chile. Its cold and rainy, so feeling very much at home here! Only 10 days left in South America before we head off to New Zealand!

Take it easy y´all

Zoe and Rich


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rollercoasters...Chile styleRollercoasters...Chile style
Rollercoasters...Chile style

To get around all the hills in Valpo, there are 15 funicular lifts! Just like Hastings! Hehe! Really good fun riding them all though, and great views from most of them!
Who is going to win the staring competition?Who is going to win the staring competition?
Who is going to win the staring competition?

This was at Pablo Neruda´s (the Chilean poet) house in Valparaiso. He lived mainly in Santiago and we looked round that house (really interesting with loads of strange stuff he had collected!). We didnt look round this one though, but the outside was beautiful, including this chair in the shape of his profile.
Street GraffitiStreet Graffiti
Street Graffiti

A lot of the houses had amazing murals painted on their sides. Made the place look really colourful and attractive.
Our hotel...Our hotel...
Our hotel...

...OK actually its the nerve centre of the Chilean Navy! You can still dream though huh!
Going down...Going down...
Going down...

Another of the lifts, this one was right by the docks. It smelt a little.
All you need is just one really strong gust of wind....All you need is just one really strong gust of wind....
All you need is just one really strong gust of wind....

Loads of the houses looked like they were just hanging off the edges of the cliffs!
The open sky museumThe open sky museum
The open sky museum

In one part of the city, they created an open air art gallery, with well known artists using the sides of houses as their canvas!
Its not Goodison but it will do!Its not Goodison but it will do!
Its not Goodison but it will do!

Here is the Everton stadium in Vina del Mar (10 minutes north of Valparaiso). It is called the Sausalito, and was very cold!
The bluesThe blues
The blues

The home fans. At first we were a little disappointed as they were really quiet down our end, but we then realised that it was best that way when the fans at the other end started getting a bit too excited!!
Spot the other teams fans...Spot the other teams fans...
Spot the other teams fans...

..they are the ones surrounded by the armed police in riot gear! The opposition was O´Higgins. Was good game, despite us losing.


5th April 2006

What adventures! You will love Aussie rules footy Rich. Looking foreward to seeing you both in May..let us know flights etc nearer the time. Sorry I have been flat out and havent replied to your email, lOve Libby
5th April 2006

Hello Zoe and Rich!!
I look forward so much to seeing your next travel log the pictures are amazing! Luv Joyce xx
16th April 2006

Moved
Hi Zoe Just to let you know that my brother in Wellington (NZ) has moved. His phone number is the same but he has moved to Naenae (still in Wellington). Spoke to him this weekend and doesn't mind at all if you ring and want a bed. Have a lovely time in NZ - Kirsten

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb