New Year in Valparaiso


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
December 30th 2007
Published: January 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the 30th we arrived in Valparaiso on the coast of Chile. We had booked ourselves into a plush hotel for the New Year celebrations and were much looking forward to a cold shower after travelling on a sweaty night bus. When we arrived at the hotel it has to be said we were not looking our best, that the lady in reception gave us a rather funny look as if to say we were in the wrong establishment! However as soon as I plonked my credit card down she seemed happier to invite us in!!

Our room was fantastic, it had a properly plumbed in bathroom with a toilet that flushed! But not only that we had our own terrace balcony that overlooked the town. Once freshening up we started to explore the hill that our hotel was on called Cerro Concepcion. It felt like we were on holiday somewhere in England as there were seagulls flying over head and lots of little cobbled streets with brightly painted houses. We had a great Tapas meal that night with a curry dish - over here it is very hard to get a curry anywhere, so I was lapping it up!!

The next day we met Chris and Dee for lunch and enjoyed a salad in the sun! We then did a bit more exploring of the rest of the town, walking around some of the other hills and down by the port before getting in a siesta before the big evening.

Later refreshed and as poshly dressed as we could manage in our travelling gear, we went downstairs to join the other guests for Pisco Sours and Hour d'oeuvres! There were another English couple staying at the hotel so we spent the majority of the evening talking to them whilst eating some fine cuisine and drinking lots of wine. As it got close to 12 o'clock we ventured upstairs onto the roof terrace to get a good view of the firework display. The whole town was heaving with people below us and as soon as it struck twelve there were party poppers and whistles being blown, it was a great atmosphere. The fireworks were amazing, the best I have ever seen. They went all around the bay for about 20 miles or so, all in time together that the scene was fab! After some more champagne we joined Chris and Dee at a house party, where we met a great couple of German guys and drank more and more alcohol. So much so that Steve decided he would like to dance with one of the older ladies, he grabbed her hand and off he went!! After a little while we left the party to head out on the streets to see what was going on. However the fresh air was not too good for me and I started to go rapidly down hill, wishing every passer by a Feliz Ano Nuevo (Happy New Year) and a hug!! By the time we reached the end of the road I needed to go back to the hotel where I was sick as a dog for the rest of the evening - that will teach me!! Poor Steve had to look after me, never managing to make it back to our friends!

New Years Day began very quietly. I got up for breakfast at half past ten but after one mouthful of bread (that Steve had to butter for me) and one sip of tea (that Steve had to pour for me) I felt reasonably ill again and had to go back to bed. In fact I didnt get out of bed again until 3pm! Steve was actually fairing rather well and managed to eat most of his breakfast and drink his coffee. Eventually at about 4pm we headed out, if not only for the maids to clean the room!! I managed to eat a packet of sugary sweets and then we went on a mission for a pizza.

In the evening we met up with Jen (a friend from the Dragoman group) and then we joined Chris, Dee and the German guys for dinner, which turned out to be another late night by the time we actually got served. I did not let a hint of alcohol pass my lips but Steve managed to have a couple of rum and cokes and some beer!! How does he do it??

Next we are going to Villarricca in the Chilean lake district.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th January 2008

new year
thank you for your parcel it arrived. we love the print and the boys send thanks for their tops. we will look aftter your bits for the flat.we are sorry you did not recieve our parcel ,pam is pursuing it still.enjoy meeting up with helen and fergus today it will be a nice reminder of home.happy new year mum dad and brothers!xxx

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb