Horcon: hosts and horses


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Horcon
September 10th 2008
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Horses and Fishermen 154 secs
Now for the story of Horcon, Chile. We arrived there late in the evening on Labor Day after a whirlwind change from the international bus in Viña del Mar to a local bus that we caught a few blocks away. We were greeted at the main bus terminal by a pleasant young woman, a tour guide who spoke English. At first she told us that it was much too dangerous for us to take a local bus to Horcon. She said that we needed to go to Valparaiso and get a big bus. However after some discussion with the bus driver and another man, she changed her mind. The other man had a hand cart and said that for 2,000 Chilean pesos (less than $5) he would take us and our bags to catch the local bus that goes to Horcon. We were literally chasing him through the streets of Viña del Mar as he encouraged us to hurry. He tossed our bags into the back of a small bus that was moving by the time Steve and I jumped aboard. As we traveled through the city the bus began to fill up. By the time we’d passed the first two villages outside of the city it was packed. In awhile it began to grow dark and the number of passengers was rapidly thinning. As we entered yet another village, I asked in my gringo Spanish if we were in Horcon. “No, no es (fill in the blank with any foreign sounding name.” At the next village, I repeated my question. The answer was the same except for the name of the village. Soon we were the last two passengers on the bus and the driver slowly turned into a small parking lot on a hillside, smiled quizzically and motioned us off the bus as he answered in the affirmative to my now well memorized question.

As has always been the case when Steve and I wander through foreign lands, we are provided for well. It seems that God is always prepared to send earthly angels to guide us. For that we are continually grateful and joyful.

With the help of some locals, we were pointed in the direction of Juan Estaban’s cabañas. As if by magic, he appeared on his balcony, smiling and welcoming us in English. I was a bit uncomfortable telling him that we had only changed a small amount of money into Chilean pesos and that we couldn’t pay in advance for the night. “No problem, no problem,” he said smiling and showing us to our little apartment. “I take you to the bank tomorrow. No problem.”

We fell in love with this little fishing village and the people in it. We stayed for six days, just relaxing, walking, enjoying the surf, the sun, and the very friendly local people. It was great to have some quiet time for prayer and meditation.

During the high season of November through February, the place is packed with tourists, but while we were there is was pleasantly tranquil. We spoke with one fisherman from Santiago who described the tourist season by miming cameras clicking a camcorders whirring. “Take your picture?” he mimicked. “Yes, I say, one dollar to take my picture.” Then he smiled at me and asked me if I would take his picture. “For one dollar,” I asked. His grin widened as he shook his head and posed for the camera.

The local fishermen operate out of small boats that they bring in and out of this little sheltered cove, some rowing some using small motors. It was great to watch the team of work horses that dragged the boats in and out of the water. We’ve attached a video clip. I hope it works well. This is our first attempt at creating one for the blog.

We also hope you enjoy the photos of friendly faces and beautiful scenery.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

New FriendsNew Friends
New Friends

This is a musician we met.


11th September 2008

Lovely!
Looks like a glimpse into time long gone. Can't think of better people to be there. Thanks for letting us journey with you. Carol B.
11th September 2008

Great Experiences
Looks like so much fun. You both have been so truly blessed by the people you've met, areas visited, and your experiences you've had. When you accept something like this,you have no idea the things you'll do. So happy for you. Enjoy the remainder of the time you have there. We miss you both. Love, Fran
11th September 2008

So Peaceful
Hi...I am now caught up on all of your posts. I enjoyed the mountain and sea pictures equally. I'm a bit jealous. 6 days in a small fishing village sounds like heaven about now. So glad you are having a lovely adventure. You are missed here! Keep having fun and be safe. Love you both.
11th September 2008

Again, WOW
I'm loving this magical journey your taking us all on! Shannon, you have such a gift for putting into words, the smells, the sounds, the beauty. and the friendships around you that it's like we can all experience them with you and Steve. I'm still, of course, missing my sis, goes w/out saying and people are probably tired or reading it but tough! It's how I feel. I'm so glad you keep us informed also so we all know you're safe as we all worry about ya'll so far away from us, but I know God is watching over you just by your photos and comments on the great people you've met. and I'm so greatful for that! I love and miss you

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb