Still cold.


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Ñuñoa
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Drive #1Drive #1Drive #1

Crossing the river, the Mapocho, I think, on the way from the airport to the university June 21. First photo of Santiago.
I finally figured out this whole internet-computer set up they have going on here. I'm wearing new shoes, but I'll be packing them soon when I pack for our trip to San Pedro de Atacama. Despite having to wake up at a ridiculous hour tomorrow, it should be a good time. We're going to Valle de la luna, Socaire, and el Reservo nacional flamenco, where supposedly we'll see lots and lots of flamingos! There will be pictures of them when I can use a computer again.
These photos are from the drive from the airport to la Universidad Andres Bello, where we had a brief orientation and met our families.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dog & ManDog & Man
Dog & Man

There are lots of stray dogs wandering the streets of Santiago. This man pulled a sandwich out of the pocket made by his pant leg and fed it to the dog that approached him.
StreetStreet
Street

A view from the bus down a long street somewhere near Avenida Republica in Santiago.
BuildingBuilding
Building

An apartment building, with all sorts of interesting balconies and levels, on the way to the university.
(Houses)(Houses)
(Houses)

What I assume to be two large houses, but could be other buildings of some sort, of differing architectural interests, also on the way to the university.
GraffitiGraffiti
Graffiti

Graffiti appears everywhere in Santiago. It does not discriminate. This is on the side of the wall/fence surrounding one university building. It says something to the effect of "Liberty to the Mapuche political..." The Mapuche is the large and historically aggressive indigineous group that occupied central Chile at the time of the Spanish conquistadors. They resisted conquer and live South of Chile on reservations.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb