Chiliean Patagonia


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes
November 19th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Chiliean Patagonia


Normandy Park 47 degrees North
Punta Arenas 53 degrees South
That is a lot of flying!

What a long day and a half of flying. Our first flight featured Lisa getting quite nauseous & sick from some medications she started taking that morning for her dental work the day before. So while I was happily sleeping the first half of the fight away, Lisa was not.

Our second flight had a different kink. After learning that our flight arrived an hour later than we thought it would due to daylight savings time, we ended up sitting on the plane at the gate for over an hour due to baggage problems. When we finally got in the air, we had a projected 30 minute connection in lima, which we were not yet checked in for, instead of our planned 2 & 1/2 hours. Long story short, we amazing were seated next to the door that the plane pulled up to and were the very first people off the plane. We ran from the plane into the airport and just about to try our luck with the customs lines at 1:00 in the morning, when an airport worker informed us if we were connecting international we could go straight to the gate! We arrive just as the last passengers were boarding. Luckly the flight was not full and they were able to get us on the flight. So we finally relaxed, although sweating from our late night sprint, in a very nice LAN jet. We both managed to get a decent amount of sleep on this flight, and woke to seeing one of the most beautiful sunrises over Santiago just before we decended for our arrival, with the Andes mountains all back lit.

Our final flight, with one stop, fianlly arrived in Punta Arenas just a bit early. It was much colder here than in Lima, but it was actually very refreshing, along with the 30ish mile per hour winds. We caught a quick bus into town and managed to find our hostel without even having a map in hand.

We spent much of the afternoon exploring town as it was actually a really nice partly sunny day here, yet windy. There are wild dogs all over town and make us miss our pups all the more. At the hostel they have a puppy that is extremely cute. Getting dinner was interesting as the waitress did not speak english and they did not have menus. After agreeing on something we both had no idea what we would be eating for dinner.

Sorry if this sounds a bit disjointed. We are very tired after the day & a half of flying but it is still pretty early here, it is after 9 and the sun is still up.

We met with our tour company and have all the information we need for our stay here in patagonia. http://www.aonikenk.com/

Bright & early we are going to see the Penguin colonies, so we are going to head in early & catch up on some sleep!! Until next time...

The trip out to the penguins was very cool, we actually got so see a sea lion working the buffet (penguins). The island is literally covered everywhere with Penguin dens. After our stop there we went to see the nearby island where the sea lions live, the antartic sea lions are so huge.

Our trip to torres del paine was also great. It was somewhat cloudy and very windy in the morning, but not such that is prevented us from seeing the moutains, really amazing. The wind was so strong it was very difficult to take pictures and keep still! On our way out the sky cleared and we got an amazing view of the mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th November 2006

Traveling + Medical Work
Silliness! Never travel after visiting the doctor. You're tempting fate when you step on the plane in too good a health! I hope the penguins are cute!
21st November 2006

Looking forward to any descriptions / photos you can post while you're away! Excited for you guys.
24th November 2006

47 degrees N
It all sounds so beautiful, wish we were there!! Can't wait to see your version of March of the Penguins. We'll be thinking of you as we watch the tv movie tomorrow night. Anakin is living the good life, without his sisters. Love you, Mom, Dad, Stefan, n Anakin

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb