More ice please


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
February 22nd 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke early due to the noisey Germans. I uterred 5 - 1 under my breath, and recited the 1966 world cup winning team in order to remain calm.

Despite the wild weather overnight the lake was completely flat. We were relieved at not having to trek back to Paine Grande. We wanted to get outside and away from the hut and so set off to take in a few viewpoints. The views of the glacier and surrounding peaks were impressive and the camera was busy again. We chill-axed at the viewpoints before heading down to the lake to have our butties and wait for the boat.

Unfortunately the boat was delayed by several hours so we had quite a long wait. This was a bit annoying as i'd wanted to have a walk to a viewpoint behind Hosteria lago Grey - Louisa wasn't too bothered.

The boat finally arrived and it was a very pleasant experience indeed. We got a good close up view of the glacier including at one point a massive icefall. It made a huge noise and the ice falling into the lake created a significant swell. Maybe not enough to surf on but pretty good from where i was standing. The tradition in Chile/Argentina appears to be that when you're on/near a glacier you should drink Whisky. In my opinion this is a wonderful tradition and one that should be embraced by all. I enthusiastically embraced it.

The ferry chugged down the river and it was great looking on at Torres Del Paine in all its majesty and reminiscing about the good and bad points of the trek. It was a brilliant way to end a fantastic few days.

The hosteria felt like a 10 star hotel, it was amazing. En suite! Incredible stuff. The highlight however was the view (see photo), just brilliant - speaks for itself. We went to the bar for a beer which again has great views of the park, as did the restaurant where we demolished an inhumane amount of food and i started to plan in my head our next trek!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb