We are sailing...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
January 8th 2012
Published: January 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are actually in Puerto Montte but couldn't pin down which region that is in Chile

7th January

Brian was at an all day conference so a chance for me to acquaint myself with shipboard life. This is a floating palace – Very Titanic and then some. Amazing food on tap all day long at several venues, a gym, spa and all that entails, swimming pool and whirlpools, a couple of theatres, endless live music bars two with dance floors, a casino, a very well equipped library to name but a few facilities. Add to that an itinerary of talks shows films, camera workshops and much much more. You name it and you will find it. There are 1500 people on board, mainly American, who are housed in ‘staterooms’ of various sizes. Ours is rather modest but spacious enough and overlooks one of the promenade decks, which is useful should any exciting sightings occur. One is totally spoon fed so if a whale appears we are instantly told about it.

There are daily lectures on wild life and the geology and geography of the region we are near or approaching. The lecturers are an ancient bunch but know their stuff.

I signed up for a Pilates class and decided to go along early and try out all the machines. So a total of one and half hours exercise completely killed me and as it was a formal night we had to get all dressed up for dinner by 8pm.



Having discovered that the wine in the dining room is a small fortune we have opted to get through the 5 bottles we brought on board before going to dinner – but first we had to finish the complimentary champagne – even Brian admitted it might be touch and go whether we can get through it all without going to dinner every night totally plastered! But we will try….

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb