punta arenas in 10 seconds or less


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
March 5th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

punta arenas statuepunta arenas statuepunta arenas statue

touch the boot for luck
finally updated some pics

hello again, march 6th,
So after 60 plus hours on buses, 4 days on a boat, covering over 2800 miles on our way south from lima, peru, and over 6600 miles from home we finally made it to punta arenas, which will be as far south as we go on this trip. it took about 3 or so hours by bus going south to get to Punta Arenas. We arrived to 40mph winds blowing us around like rag dolls, we finally found a room for the night and then headed out into the city to see whats going on. So after about 15 minutes we were finished exploring the city, feeling like we had thoroughly seen what was worth seeing, and then decided this was as far south as we would be going. We were lucky enough to have a friend from the ice to meet up with for drinks on our night in arenas. He is working on a research vessel and it was docked in arenas right the day we were there. I guess that will be our excuse for making the bus ride down here, haha. The city isnt that bad, but there really is not anything to do, or see that we have not already done. There is a penguin tour, which sure we both have seen plenty of penguins already, but i always like that stuff, unfortunately due to time we would have had to spend another night here to do it. I originally wanted to try and make it all the way down to Ushuaia, which is in argentina, and technically the southernmost point, well i guess there is cape horn, and maybe other small islands, but anyway after much thinking, and talking with other travelers who had been down there we decided punta arenas would be the furthest south we will be going. It is a 15hour bus ride each way to ushuaia, lots of dirt roads, and really not much of a town anyway. Its all cruise ship tourists stopping and shopping there. Again the main attractions are seeing the penguins and seals, ice, all things we have both seen and lived, arghhh,, haha. The other reason for going to ushuaia, , for me at least, was to get as far south as i could. BUT, while 5 years ago this was still true, now that i have actually been to the south pole, i guess the allure of making 30hours of bus rides to go there and back is lost. So its now onward and upward, literally. All north from here. We plan on heading to El Chalten, a little mountain town about 6 hours north from here in Argentina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb