Cruise along the Strait of Magellan


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
March 26th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Onboard the Via Australis, we went through breathtaking scenic 4 days from Punta Arenas through the Cordillera de Darwin, Parque Nacional Alberto de Agostini, the Beagle Channel, Cape Horn and finally Ushuaia.

The Captain welcomed us onboard with a cocktail, Pisco Sour!, and we were explained the full program for the four days.

Our first landing was on the island Alberto de Agostini where we had the special treat to see an elephant seal very close, two artistic sea lions playing in the water and the beautiful nature of the island.

The other days were punctuated by visits to our friends the Penguins, Cormorants birds, and beavers . We saw a Beavers house with all the damage they do to wood with their little teeth, they keep biting and biting on wood everywhere.

One of the guides, Marcello, was so knowledgeable about the fauna, the flora and the history that we really enjoyed our excursions off-board and learnt a lot about the local species.

We had a whole explanation about the climatic changes and the impact on the area, the glaciers are melting...
We learnt about the solar system and the changes of the Earth inclination towards the Sun.

The last day, we landed on Cape Horn at 7am, it was still dark outside which added a spooky feeling to land on the island.

It was a full program, rich of adventures, discoveries and new learning, and even more enriching because shared with the fun table 14!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb