Punta Arenas


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
December 28th 2006
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Punta Arenas (Sandy Point) on Christmas. Steve returned the rental car while Theresa Ben and Oliver got settled into the latest hostel. This hostel is run by a family. Their two kids immediately showed interest in playing with Ben and Oliver. First they brought us Christmas cake. Then they let us know they had a backyard the kids could play in. Finally, the mother came in to clean our bathroom and asked her little girl to bring her supplies. With this, the little girl (Catalina) had the opportunity to meet Ben and Oliver who were still acting very shy. Finally, Catalina offered to show them her “coneja” (rabbit) and they were off playing with her.

Steve came back from the car rental company. After sweating out damaging the car, the rental company just charged a minimal amount to cover repairs and that was it. We hadn’t needed to stress about it all so much!!

We happened to be in Punta Arenas on the right days to visit Isla Magdalena where there is a great Magellanic Penguin colony. This trip is special because you actually get to disembark from the boat and walk on a trail among the penguins. The island is literally covered with penguins and their burrows. When the penguins tried to cross the trail, Ben and Oliver said “Penguin Crossing!” We were able to get very close to the penguins, see them in their burrows with their babies, and hear and see them make their holes and hooting sounds. We also saw gulls, their eggs and their babies. The eggs and chicks are spotted!! We were there for one hour; it was beautiful.

We had had to switch rooms that morning at our hostel and somehow in the confusion, the camera batteries got left behind. So we visited the penguin colony without a working camera. Luckily, we all carry memory cameras in our heads so we will always carry the pictures with us. Also lucky for us, we met a fun gal named Robin (we like to call her Rockin’ Robin) who is from Fort Collins, Colorado. She was clicking tons of pictures, some of us with the penguins, so hopefully she’ll forward some our way.

Robin joined us the next day (Dec 27th) when we rented a car and visited Fuerte Bulnes south of Punta Arenas. This is a fort that was built in 1843 to establish a settlement for Chile and protect the coast. It was later abandoned for Punta Arenas. Fort Bulnes is a wooden fort, has great cannons aime at the water, a jail, a lookout, and buildings made of sod. From Fort Bulnes, we walked further south on a little trail to the end of the continent of mainland South America. Theresa touched the water there.

Before Fort Bulnes, settlers had tried to settle a distance away, but had starved to death - it was so inhospitable. It is called Puerto Hambre (Hungry Port). We had a picnic lunch there.

We had a great time hanging out with Robin. It turns out she is quite the Harry Potter expert. We are no longer worried about Harry dying in Book 7. She has all the inside scoop.

Our last day in Punta Arenas, we visited the Museo Naval y Maritimo. We enjoyed playing with all the boat equipment. It made us all the more excited about boarding the Navimag ship in Puerto Natales, our next stop.

We didn’t think there would be so much to do in Punta Arenas. We missed a lot of the museums, but we did rub the toe of the native man statue in the main plaza (for good luck).



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

close up of the Araucania tree close up of the Araucania tree
close up of the Araucania tree

tough and succulent-like "leaves", very unique
Chile is a long long countryChile is a long long country
Chile is a long long country

This statue marks the midpoint of Chile, way down here south of Punta Arenas (if you include the Antarctica and the South Pole)


14th January 2007

Hi Guys, I feel like I'm on the trip with you. What an adventure! Feliz Navidad! love, Gretchen
26th January 2007

second time around
I am re-reading your travelblogs and enjoying them even more. You have done a great job of taking us along on your journey. Love from jean (we're glad you're back , though)

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb