Puerto Varas


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Varas
March 20th 2015
Published: March 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Puerto VarasPuerto VarasPuerto Varas

First sights of Volcano Osono.
Feb 27 - Friday - Puerto Varas

Travelled again through beautiful country side past lakes and through farm land and rain forest. Found our accommodation which is a cabin right on the lake edge. The opposite bank is barely visible.

Went into town and bought supplies including blue berries and raspberries which are cheap and sweet! Bought some "black raspberry" (blackberry) ice cream to go with it.

Came back and chilled for the afternoon, enjoying the beautiful location and getting super frustrated at the internet! The atmosphere in the town was extremely smokey, but a little better at our cabin.

Apparently there are some quite serious fires burning somewhere but we can't work out where. Drove out looking for a place to view sunset on Osono, and got some ok pictures.



Feb 28 - Saturday

The morning was very cool and seemed overcast as well as smokey - visibility rather poor. Decided not to go up to the Volcano Osono in the morning, but went out through a gap in the mountains - really volcanic area, to the edge of another lake, Lago Todos Los Santos - it is possible to cross into
Puerto VarasPuerto VarasPuerto Varas

Our accommodation and "personal jetty"!!!
Argentina from this spot. We could have gone on a cruise around the lake, but visibility was very poor.

Went back to an area we passed along the way, which was really interesting, among the volcanic rock. there was a waterfall, but some channels of water where the water was gushing through.

Drove back to eat lunch on the edge of the lake but visibility was still very limited. Decided to give the volcano a go, so went back to the main road, and wound our way 30-40 km up the mountain to the ski lifts.

The lift was operating, so we took the lift as far as we could. A real moon scape. Fantastic view of the edges of the volcano and a few craters. The longer view would have been amazing, but for the smoke etc.

Came back to try and get photos of the sunset, but it was a bit of a nothing event this time. Last night the sun was hugely red and round.



March 1 - Sunday

Day dawned very overcast and cool and forecast was for some rain. Set off to go around the other half of the lake Llanquihue to 2 little towns - Frutilar and Puerto Octay. Fruitilar has a very European feel about it. It drizzled with rain while there.

Has a big and modern theatre type building out over the water - appears to host musical events. The town was very beautiful and well kept. Walked out on the jetty. Debbie recommended we eat cake at this town, so of course had to obey!

Found a Kuchen Shop with an abundant range of cakes and cheesecake type things. Bought 4 different types and shared them with a hot drink. Drove on to Puerto Octay through beautiful dairy farming country.

On our way back stopped and picked and ate blackberries. YUM!

Bought shower curtains to cover our luggage in case of rain.

All the area around this lake seems to use shingles both on the roofs and walls of the houses.



The gum trees here are very straight and tall, and some are almost a cone shape. Saw an extremely tall one on our trip today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

straight, tall gum trees, like we don't have in Australia!
Puerto Varas - FrutilarPuerto Varas - Frutilar
Puerto Varas - Frutilar

Frutilar - German influence
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Cheap and sweet berries - Yum!!!!
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

River on road to Lago Todos Los Santos (Lake).
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

At the lake. This is an example of a shingle building - there are many many shingle houses - both walls and roofs.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Fancy Hotel Lago Todos Los Santos
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Church at the Lake. Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Boats waiting to take tourists on cruises around the lake. We didn't go as it was so foggy. Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Another view of the lake. Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Volcanic creek beds near Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Walks Lago Todos Los Santos
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Stars!!!
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Near Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Walks near Lago Todos Los Santos.
Puerto VarasPuerto Varas
Puerto Varas

Walks near Lago Todos Los Santos.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb