puerto montt and sailing on the navimag


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Montt
February 23rd 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


hola,
So after a 12 or so hour bus ride we finally arrived in puerto montt. We arrived around 8am and had to check in at the navimag at 9am. so just walked over, checked our bags and then walked around until we departed at 2pm. puerto montt is small town with not much going on. so not much to say about it.
So the navimag trip was good. we were put in 2 bunks in a dorm type room of 22 bunks total. we got lucky and the lady in the office gave us the end bunks, so instead of having 2 bunks across from us we had a wall, and a window. the beds were ok, small but soft. lots of room noise with 22 in our area, and others walking through all the time. The boat itself was really basic, which was expected since it is a cargo ship, converted to hold passengers. the food was also basic cafeteria style, not much taste. The ride was 3 nights, arriving on the 4th day. we ended up getting to port about 6 hours late due to head winds on the way down. the ride was mostly smooth except for the 12 or so hours we exited the cover of the islands and ventured into open water. They offer a sea sick pill , which i took, C didnt. neither of us got sick, but plenty on the boat did. It actually was kind of fun bouncing around soo much in the waves. There was 3 to 6 meter wave/swells whatever you call them, and with a smaller boat it really bounced us around, listing side to side and back and forth all night. There wasnt much to do on the boat but sit and watch the scenery all day. Unfortunately they dont provide the most comfortable of chairs, only wooden benches UN-strategically placed around the boat, haha. so lots of sitting and walking around each day. The scenery was great, made up for the short comings of boat. We pulled into a cove at the p11 glacier, we got about half a kilometer from the thing. It was really cool, and its one of the only glaciers in the world thats still actually growing. The last night was probably the worst for sleep. they have kind of a party in the bar the last night, and between that and the locals we picked up in port eden, it was quite loud most of the night in the dorms. Its sad how some people have no respect for others in such an open and shared environment. when or where is it ok to stomp around, babbling in your loud voice at 3am, 5 feet from 10 other people trying to sleep? anyway that sucked, but still the trip overall was nice.
So we arrived in puerto natales around 6pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

port edenport eden
port eden

we stopped for a hour here and some locals boarded the ship for a ride to natales
chunk of ice from glacierchunk of ice from glacier
chunk of ice from glacier

they went out in a zodiak to grab a chunk of ice, to serve drinks with


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb