Navimag


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Montt
November 21st 2008
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we boarded the Navimag ferry. Possibly the most expensive part of our trip overall, but as this region of Patagonia is mainly water and the are no roads heading back up north this really is the only way to travel. Billed as one of the highlights of Chile, a 4 day and 3 night cruise (and I use this word loosely) through the Chilean fjords of Patagonia. Starting from Puerto Montt and ending in Puerto Natales, the Navimag boat, more for carrying cattle and cargo than people, plies these southern waters all year round, but in summer, the boat fills with eager tourists hoping for great weather, whales in full breach, icebergs and glaciers. So before boarding the boat we did a final big shop and stocked up on treats and wine to last the journey.

Initally we booked a Triple A cabin, but then decided it perhaps wasn't worth the extra hundreds of pounds it was going to cost so instead opted for the double A cabins which are just as nice but you run the risk of having to share. Fingers crossed the boat would not be full and we'd have the place to ourselves. Unluckily not - the was another couple in our cabin - boo! However the other couple also wanted a private room so downgraded themselves in order to be alone - leaving us with a large private cabin for a fraction of the cost - result!

The ferry sailed us past a large Glacier, shipwrecks and a very narrow point which the boat could just fit through. We also disembarked at Puerto Eden, a Patagonian island only accessable by ship.

Possibly one of the most exciting parts of the trip is when for a 12-18 hour stint we hit the open seas and were bouncing around on 3 or 5 metre high waves which were causing furniture to slide from one side of the ship to the other and literally throwing passengers across the bar (but he had a few beers to be fair!). Thank goodness for the seasickness tablets which we were advised to take!

On the last night was the highlight of social interaction - Bingo and Disco night - how naff but quite fab in its own way! San won the first prize in the Bingo (a fleece which is quite useless as we will be in Tahiti in a few days time!). In order to claim the first prize San had to do a celebration dance in front of everyone in the bar, but cheekily dragged Magnus up too to face the shame of Bingo Dancing! San as Patagonian Bingo champ, who'd have thought it eh?



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb