Navimag and the Chilean Fjords


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Montt
March 7th 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dolphinsies 16 secs
My C Class bunkMy C Class bunkMy C Class bunk

..which was actually really comfy!
Well we got to Puerto Montt on time with the Pachamamas and so we got tickets for the 4 day 'cruise' (to use the word in its lightest sense!) to Puerto Natales. The ticket included all meals (of which we got seconds most days), dorm-style bunk bed in lowly C class (they separated us from the A's in case we infected them with our low budgets!) and lectures or movies each day.

On the way down, we passed glaciers and mountains and even saw dolphins and whales! We had talks on the local indigenous people and glaciation and they were only marred by the rather manly woman in charge of the 'entertainment' who insisted on trying to make really bad jokes every time she spoke which kind of put people off listening to her lectures! We even got a night of bingo where we actually tried to avoid winning because those that won had to get up and dance for the rest of the boat. Unfortunately i was sat near the front and in the middle and when a smelly Chilean man won he made me go up and dance with him. I'm also pretty sure that dancing made him fart because it was really unpleasant (and they served eggs at every meal on the boat....) Enough said!

Luckily the sailing was pretty calm and the only day where we went out onto the Pacific which was more choppy, we all took the boat's recommended sea sickness tablets and immediately fell asleep!! They made everyone so drowsy that the whole boat was asleep by about 7pm!

Unfortunately since the volcano, Lara has had a few issues with her toe nails which mean that she won't be able to join me on the 4 day trek in Torres del Paine once we get there. So we will need to split up for 5 days. I'll do the hike with some people I have met on the boat and she will head south to the end of the world - Ushuaia! I feel really bad deserting her for her birthday (so sorry Poo!) but we'll definitely make up for it by celebrating in Buenos Aires!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Linn and MartinLinn and Martin
Linn and Martin

yep, you guessed it - they're Swedish!
BethBeth
Beth

Who has decided to join me on the trek


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb