Chile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Osorno
January 17th 2015
Published: January 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Several days into our Honeymoon Adventure, and we have made it South to Puerto Varas.

Santiago is a fascinating city, with so much history and culture. The architecture is stunning, with very obsious European influences. Being 92 degrees, we were ready to head South toward Patagonia just as soon as we landed. We had to take a couple of days to orient ourselves to being in the southern hemisphere, in the heat. . . .and also we were not able to leave until last night as the trains and buses were all booked.

At least we were able to wander the city, go to one of the oldest Cathedrals in Santiago, and went to the Muesum of Art Precolumbia. No words can describe the incredible art that indeginous people created, some thousands and thousands of years old. Sculptures, stone carvings, woven traditional clothing, and amazing carvings of wood being over 30 feet tall. Santiago is full of art - on the streets, in the cafes, in many unexpected corners.

Originally we were hoping to take a train south, but there has been damage on the tracks and the train did not go nearly as far as we needed to go. To simplify our trip, and not worry about multiple modes of transportation, we decided to take the overnight bus to Puerto Montt and rent a truck from there to start our road trip on the Carratera Astral highway that dives down into the Andes, and skirts around the many headwaters and rivers.

Our bus left at9:30 pm, and only about an hour in the trip I was cursing myself for leaving motion sickness meds in my backpack that was locked up - not to be seen until be arrived at our destination. I HATE taking those nasty pills, but I HATE throwing up on the bus even more.
Needless to say, I can´t say how thankful I am there was a toilet on the bus.



Now, with our red truck ready to ramble, we are stocking up on food and other gear before rollin´out tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to sleeping in a bed tonight, and heading to the mountains tomorrow.

We are going to climb Osorno, and hopefully will make the summit in 2 days.....we´ll be in touch!

Wish us luck!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb