Smoking Volcanoes, Dance offs & Brightly Painted Churches


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
March 16th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dance off 16 secs
Hey everyone.

Guys cheers for all the emails and messages. Gar especially, you´re playing a stormer...good to hear the news from home and that you guys are still keeping track of what we are getting up to. The skiing photos, what we have seen of them, look great. Another year without injury too.....that´s a good record.

Anyway we are back in Argentina. Another trek and a half to get here. Last time we spoke we were about to get a Ferry...we figured that would go off without much drama but we were wrong. We almost missed it because of a Fishermens protest in the town next to the port. We ended up having to walk around it, through a field and a stream and hitch a lift with a Chilean Student and his Dad to our ferry port. The town resembled Belfast in the 70´s once the fishermen were finished with it...nervous looking police in riot gear, rocks,barricades and fires all over the place. For the Mas and Das ..it was safer than you think...even though we couldn´t get through it was blowing over at that stage. There were actually some small children playing in the rubble.
We spent
Chilean student who helped usChilean student who helped usChilean student who helped us

Can´t actually remember his name oops
the next two days on the Ferry, which was surprisingly pleasant. We had a cabin with 2 other people, spent most of the day on deck listening to music and watching the scenary which included an angry Volcano which destroyed Chaiten a year ago and is still bubbling away now. Pretty humbling to see actually. In the evening we had a really good laugh playing cards and speaking bad spanish with the chilean students. College has just started back here.
Next stop was Puerto Montt. Quite a scruffy little town. But we stayed in a really nice hostel for one night before heading off to Chiloe Island, where we rented a car and buzzed around for 2 days. It resembles Ireland a little...if Ireland had sun. They have lots of Painted wooden churches dotted about...they are protected world heritage sites or something. Nothing much happened there...we found a really cute little Cabaña to stay in and chilled out.
Then it was time to say hello to our mates, the border police of Argentina for, I don´t know, the eight time.
This will be the last stop in Argentina for a few months......to be continued....


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Chaiten VolcanoChaiten Volcano
Chaiten Volcano

About to blow....we were a safe distance away though


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb