A short lesson of history


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island
October 14th 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A short lesson of history
Once upon a time, far away from everywhere, there existed a beautiful, beautiful island with green hills and lots of trees on it. Then came the people and made their home here and life was good. Food was abundant and they could even afford to allocate a significant amount of their resources towards the erection of gigantic stone statues which would symbolize their wealth and power. But the way of life had its price and resources were limited on the beautiful but small island. One after the other the trees were felled until one day there were hardly any left. This upset the settlers and war broke out. Opposed clans tore down the stone statues which their ancestors had erected to break the spirit and power of their enemies until one day there were no more statues standing on the beautiful island with green hills and no trees on it.






Find more stories and pictures on our Lovelyplanet-Homepage.



Planet Portrait

* Top 3:

Sunrise or sunset with the moais

The rough waves of the pacific

The amazing crater of Rano Kau

* Our route: Hanga Roa

* That was bad: The sun wasn't always cooperative at sunsets

* Recommended guest house: Residencial Kaveriu. The only one we know but it was nice.

* Visa: Free on arrival

* We paid for a meal: between 2000 and 4000 pesos.




Planet Pictures


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb