The giant rocks of chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Easter Island

The Legend of The Bird Man.



The megaliths of Easter Island, other wise known as the Moai, are gigantic statues built by the Polynesians during 800/1600 AD. Cut from volcanic rock, these sacred ancestral faces haunt the Island even now. It's an eerie feeling to stand next to the 12m tall, black stone carvings. There are about 880 statues left on the island.



Our venture out to Easter Island saw 900 people from the ship moved strategically, in tiny 8 passenger speedboats, to a small rocky walkway where we could hop ashore. The waves here are strong and slap the craggy beach edge with sass. The water is a deep blue, loaded with "delicious looking sea weed", that several Japanese passengers where tempted to catch.



We climbed into a small van and were whisked away to admire the main Moai sites. Giant heads poked out of the volcanic hills, huge bodies lay carved into the side of the rock, 15 giant large nosed, wide toothed men lined up against the sea, and lone Moai stood guard against the volcanos of the island.



I have never seen such enigmatic man made statues. The people of Rapa Nui nearly killed them selves off by sacrificing all there natural resources in the process of building these. Their life story is even more intriguing than the symbols they left behind. The barren landscape and looming statues are a testament to mans ignorance and determination, and the importance of belief and culture. I can't help but wonder if our initiative has really changed that much over the ages?



To finish off the day we cruised past the horses and cattle, which roamed the dusty roads, gently winding down towards the beach. I spent 3 hours under the sun, where a sparse scattering of palms swayed lazily in the breeze, and cold waters cooled our hot brains. The white sand, pink flowers, and turquoise waters were picture perfect, a place to get lost and let the day slip away. Time moved too fast for my taste, and before I could loose my self I was back in our van. My moment was not lost yet. With ipod in hand, Leftfield booming in my ear drums, window wide open and hair flaring around me, I closed my eyes and became a butterfly once again.



Now I'm flying around Tahiti Island, soon to be floating under the sea with the manta rays. Only 23 more days left on the ship...



love and peace

butterfly


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb