Stargazing


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Elqui DomosElqui DomosElqui Domos

Our Tent
Had a fantastic birthday treat from Ads, he took me to a stargazing place called Elqui Domos. Situated in the Elqui valley, 4kms from a small village called Pisco Elqui. It was an adventure getting to the place! We made it to Pisco Elqui and waited for a connecting bus that went by Elqui Domos. We waited and waited and waited some more. Three hours later we were still waiting! We tried to contact the place with no success! Time to use our back up plan, we had a phone number for a local taxi man. However, due to our lack of Spanish this was rather unsuccessful. A fellow backpacker came to our rescue and said their hostel could order a taxi. So three and a bit hours later we eventually made it to Elqui Domos!

What a place, it was worth all the hard work getting here. We stayed in these amazing tents with removable roofs. You could watch the stars at night from the luxury of your bed. Absolutely amazing stars, the whole sky was alight. Have to just add the food was fantastic here. For dinner we were served a three course meal, not had many of
Elqui ValleyElqui ValleyElqui Valley

Our 4kms walk to Elqui Pisco
those so far on this trip, so it was a real treat. As for breakfast, it consisted of fresh smoothies, eggs, warm bread, jam, tea (mint yey) and coffee. Might not seem that great to you all, but 7 weeks of just bread and jam (if we´re lucky).... this was heaven.

While here we ventured on foot (4kms each way) into Pisco Elqui to check it out. Everyone we saw along the way was so friendly, waving, saying Hola and greeting us with big smiles. Very different to good old London Town!

On leaving Elqui Domos we had to catch this mystery bus back, which we were very sceptical about!! While waiting at the road side, a local family asked if we wanted a lift in the back of their pick up. We didn´t think twice, grabbed our backpacks chucked them in the back and jumped in for a bumpy ride back into Pisco Elqui. It was great fun travelling on the open road in the back of a tuck. What a brilliant way to end our mini break.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Local SupermarketLocal Supermarket
Local Supermarket

Not quite Tesco´s!!!
On our deckingOn our decking
On our decking

Still milky white!!!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb