Pisco Elqui - Starry skies and swimming pools


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Coquimbo Region » Pisco Elqui
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The small town of Pisco Elqui used to be called La Union until they decided to change the name to promote its local product - Pisco!

We had a wonderfully relaxing few days in a small cabaña and made good use of the swimming pool too. So, after the disappointment of the beach, we finally got to do some serious work on our tans. The only problem we had was when we ran out of our Nivea sun cream and had to resort to a national brand. It had a carrot extract in it which gave it (and us) a lovely orange tint, not to mention an odd smell!! Also, the Factor 12 part of it was questionable as we both caught more sun than we bargained for! The night sky was incredibly clear as we sat by the pool in the evenings with a beer.

The nearby settlement of Montegrande was the birthplace and final resting place for the infamous Gabriela Mistral. She really is everywhere, and we visited the museum in the old schoolhouse where she was a pupil, and walked up the hill to her mausoleum. See, we do cultural stuff too!!

That’s it really
Happy Valentine's DayHappy Valentine's DayHappy Valentine's Day

Not drunk, just laid back!
for Pisco Elqui, a hippy, cool, chilled, relaxing place which we can thoroughly recommend.

From there we travelled back to La Serena and were worried when the first few companies we spoke to had no room on buses heading North for several days. In the end we took the last 2 seats on a night bus going direct to San Pedro de Atacama, our final destination before returning to Argentina.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

OrionOrion
Orion

You can make out Orion in this one. Honestly you can!!
DogsDogs
Dogs

Not stray this time!


24th February 2007

Orion
I stole your picture of Orion because that's my favorite constellation. Great shot! Pisco Elqui looks gorgeous....Mountains, mountains everywhere!! --nat

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb