Crash and Burn Seymor/ Shakin all over


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Arica & Parinacota » Arica
May 8th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We hired a cab the see the geoglyphs in the Azapa valley, it was a trade route and pictures of Llamas are engraved on the face of the surrounding slopes as a kind of map for travelers in the area. We stopped at a small church and as soon as we were out of the car we herd and dog yelp then a bang and then the most horrendous wails, we ran around the corner and found a young man laying on the side of the road in distress, We think he had swerved to miss the dog and plowed into a fence on his quad bike, the result was a dislocated shoulder and a nasty compound fracture on the same arm, since he was wearing only shorts and a t shirt he was covered in painful looking road rash and already darkening bruises.
He was screaming for his brother who was on another bike ahead of him, his brother showed up on the scene a few minutes later.

He told us his name was Seymor, his fracture and dislocation were bad and we tried to keep him calm until the ambulance arrived, he was bleeding from his fracture but not enough for us to move him, He keep screaming and wailing which I took as a good sign, The flies swarmed around him as we heard the siren in the distance, the police arrived as did many curious on lookers, we thought there was little use for us and moved on.
Seymor's wails replayed in my head for a few days after.

On the night of the 6th, I was just about to fall asleep when I became aware of a low rumbling sound, the house began to shake………..S**t, Earthquake!!!!!!!! Everyone in the hostel was soon up standing in doorways, the shaking lasted about 20-30 seconds and was the strongest I had ever experienced,
For sure I was scared but its more the anticipation that it may get stronger than anything else, the epicenter was 31 miles away and it measured 6.4.

Everyone in the hostel made friends that night and we were like a happy family the following morning.

A few aftershocks occurred the following day, just in case we had forgotten mother nature's power.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb