Beautiful places, colourful buildings and unfriendly people


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Arica & Parinacota » Arica
April 12th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lonely Planet has summarized that “the most lasting impressions you’ll take away of Chileans is undoubtedly of their renowned hospitality, helpfulness, genuine curiosity and heartfelt eagerness to make travelers feel at home”, maybe this does not apply to Arica….. I have had the opportunity to visit this northern most city of Chile during the Semana Santa weekend. It’s a port city and ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




16th April 2007

silly chileans
hi there. i'm not sure where you're from but i've read with great interest some of your entries, especially the ones from djibouti (very uncommon destination). i'm very puzzled as to what it is you do and if you're a tourist if some kind of ex-pat worker (you don't talk about what you do in the entries i've read). i'm really quite shocked you've had such bad experiences in chile, or in arica actually. the chileans i've met in chile and abroad have all been super super friendly and will go blocks out of their way to help a foreign traveller (they are sometimes not as friendly with their own countrymen). the only thing i can think of is that perhaps they thought you were peruvian, but i don't think that's likely. i certainly wouldn't pay much attention to the negative comments from peruvians regarding chile or chileans. peruvians have a chip on their shoulder regarding chileans, almost to the point of paranoia. don't get them started about pisco, chilean companies in peru, or the chilean military. i can assure you that chile is a very friendly country with great people and i hope your negative experiences in arica don't put you off too much about visiting the rest of the country. lauca national park is beautiful. if you go back to arica definitely go there. i'm not sure if it's a destination in and of itself. the san pedro de atacama area further south is great for a couple of days. chilean food isn't the most exciting in the world, but there are definitely dishes worth trying. i recommend chilean seafood and cheese empanadas, pastel de choclo (a type of corn-meat pie), and the paila marina (seafood stew). hope you enjoy the rest of your time in south america. cheers!
17th April 2007

Bad experience doesnt stop me.....
Thanks for your suggestion....will definitely go back to Chile!!Easter Island and Santiago and the Torres del Paine are places I have to visit before I leave SA!!Im from Malaysia and I've heard that Chilean is anti-asian...perhaps I have the combination of Peruvian and Asian look which made them unfriendly;P
17th April 2007

hmm... your journey sound interesting. However, i think the write up is too short. perhaps, u shoud break it to few chapter... some talk about food, some talk about the "strange" ppl u met along the way. Anyway, reli enjoy reading your blog. Looking forward to hear more from you... It reli stir me up. It reli good to c aroung the world. Now, i just like one of the character in the Paulo Coelho's book, the crystal's shop owner, u know... the owner in The Alchemist.
17th April 2007

Thanks....
So, Mr. anonymous, when are you going back to Djibouti to continue your business there selling crystal?
26th April 2007

Hi, very nice trip. May be u can describe a little bit on the chinese shop / town over there. Good luck to your next trip.
8th May 2007

Nice photo
Dude, nice photo you got there. Hope everything is fine for you there.
4th September 2009

Not only in Arica
I have live in Chile for 3 months now, and the bad attitude is in every city and town that I have visited, The Chilean people are something special, that's all I can say.

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb