Pucon: Sulphur & Springs


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
January 31st 2014
Published: February 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our flight from Punta Arenas arrived in Puerto Montt, which left us with a five hour bus to take us to Pucon that same day. With all flight and bus connections going as smooth as clockwork, we were all chilled out in Pucon before we knew it.

Sitting ominously in the shadow of the highly active Volcano Villarrica, from first impressions this picturesque Lake District town was everything we had hoped it would be. The previous day we had made a reservation to do what is most likely the towns most famous tour...to climb Volcano Villarrica. 8pm the night before we went for our boot and clothing fitting and for a basic briefing on what to bring and expect. Just as we thought we had left all the cold weather, next thing you know, we're getting set to once again get decked out in thermals and waterproofs and head back up a mountain.

Seven am the next morning we were back at the 'Summit Chile' offices, this time getting geared up for real and ready for the climb ahead. Crampons, pick axe and helmet at the ready, off we went. With overcast skies and a slightly dubious weather forecast, it wasn't a guarantee that we would be able to make the accent we had all built ourselves up for. As we arrived to the foot of the mountain (a ski resort in winter), the ski lift which we had planned to take up the first 400m accent wasn't moving. Concerned that we were not going to be able to climb, after a short while we were given the go ahead and off we went. As the ski lifts weren't running due to high winds, we were forced to walk the first part of the trek which added an additional one hour to the climb. One hour later, hot, sweaty and already feeling the burn, we arrived at the top of the chair lift (the one we were meant to get up) for our first short stop. A quick banana and couple of pics later, we were back on our feet and heading further up into the clouds. Two more hours of walking up black volcanic rock we reached the part of the climb which made it all worth it...the glacier.

It was time...crampon and pick axe time! No more than a second after Rich had his crampons on and axe in had, he was off reenacting scenes from cliff hanger and making out he was some kind of action man. With Rich back in the real world again, we now had another 2/3 hours of slow climbing up the ice ahead in order to reach the summit. After enough switchbacks to send you into a daze, we eventually came close enough to the top to see and smell the toxic sulphur bellowing from the top and with a final push we had made it! With pure blue skies, a smouldering volcanic crater behind and complete cloud cover below, it was an exceptional sight that we will never forget. With ice cold winds howling over the mountain, continual gusts of eye stinging and choking sulphur wafting into your face it wasn't too long until we were set to head back down. Just as we were being briefed on our decent, Rich turned around to discover a poor damsel in distress. After one too many gulps of Pucon's purest sulphur Gem had gone all wobbly at the knees (this time it wasn't Rich's dashing looks that did it!). A few deep breaths, a helping hand from the guide and an additional pole in hand and we were back on track.

However...this was not going to be any old walk down, this was going to be a slide down! We removed our crampons, slid on a bum protector, clipped on our butt sleds on and got ready for what can only be described as hysterical, stomach creasing fun. Sat in a long human train and with a brief lesson in how to stop and be safe off we went. At first it was all pretty civilised, but by our fourth or firth slide most of that went out of the window and the slides turned into all out carnage with both of us crying of laughter. With Rich losing control and performing some sort of 360 degree spin the guide was a little less than impressed and we were all left with a warning. The next run descended into yet more chaotic fun and ended with the whole group being told off like little school boys and girls and forced to walk the last slide. Did we care?!? Hell no, we just had so much fun and were still laughing that we didn't give a damn!

The next day we decided to have an easy going day, so headed off to one of the many local hot springs. Hidden away, 30km from Pucon amongst the woods were five natural hot springs, each pool with varying temperatures. It was the perfect way to relax after the strenuous day before.

Our final day in Pucon with spent strolling around town and having lunch before we we once again on the move. Next stop Santiago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



17th February 2014

Cant believe it fantastic
Hi Rich and Gemma. just been reading about your adventure in Pucon your are both so brave mind you what a wonderful experience something you will never forget. The weather here has been awful mind you we havebeen very lucky some people have been flooded since Xmas.We were lucky on friday night high tide was at 11 l didnt go to bed watching the waves. The sea came over at the Half brick what a mess the cobbles made thats how close we were.Lots of love and kisses to you both. Nan and grandadxxxxxxx
17th February 2014

Cant believe it fantastic
Hi Rich and Gemma. just been reading about your adventure in Pucon your are both so brave mind you what a wonderful experience something you will never forget. The weather here has been awful mind you we havebeen very lucky some people have been flooded since Xmas.We were lucky on friday night high tide was at 11 l didnt go to bed watching the waves. The sea came over at the Half brick what a mess the cobbles made thats how close we were.Lots of love and kisses to you both. Nan and grandadxxxxxxx
17th February 2014

Cant believe it fantastic
Hi Rich and Gemma. just been reading about your adventure in Pucon your are both so brave mind you what a wonderful experience something you will never forget. The weather here has been awful mind you we havebeen very lucky some people have been flooded since Xmas.We were lucky on friday night high tide was at 11 l didnt go to bed watching the waves. The sea came over at the Half brick what a mess the cobbles made thats how close we were.Lots of love and kisses to you both. Nan and grandadxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb