Bounce, ouch, bounce ouch


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
February 27th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ridiculously we awoke to cloud. Unacceptable. We continued with our plan to hire bikes and visit a local waterfall. Just might not be as enjoyable as planned.

The bike shop gave us a route and some sketchy instructions which we immediately messed up. This involved us riding up and down the main road trying to find the turn off onto the dirt track. Some low level cursing persisted but ultimately we found our way.

The track was deeply rutted which made it uncomfortable, but it was nice to get away from the road. Soon we found ourselves at a bridge crossing where a lady shouted at us. We waved and carried on. Then I fell off. Louisa in sympathy fell off a little further on - so we were both having a wonderful time. The weather was still murky but very warm and yesterday's volcano climb was still evident from the tiredness in my legs.

Slowly the cloud was burnt off by the sun and the volcano came into view. The track was relatively tough with plenty of ups and downs, the downs more fun than the ups! The route stretched past farms and through the countryside - very pleasant indeed.

Our destination for the day was Ojos De Caburgo a waterfall where we thought we'd chill out a bit and have a swim. Amazingly - no swimming allowed. Ridiculous. So we sat and watched the waterfall instead. Very charming it was too. Nice to cool off in the shade.

Climbing back onto the bike was an excruciatingly painful affair. Sitting was not at all pleasant. We decided to shorten the route and head back to Pucon on the road. It should have been mainly downhill and we were looking forward to cruising back into Pucon. The route was primarily downhill, unfortunately there was powerful head wind which necessitated flat out pedalling. The ride back dragged on painfully. The volcano loomed closer but never quickly enough. We stopped at a roadside cafe to fuel up on ice cream and pepsi. This proved to be a good call and provided the morale boost required to finish the job.

Upon returning the bike i commenced walking like John Wayne - a most unpleasant feature. We returned to our favourite haunt Trawen for a revitalising milkshake. Revitalised we went for a swim in the lake to cool down. Absolute bliss. A snooze on the beach and then off for tea at the uruguayan grill for steak and red wine. The steak was good but it took them ages to bring the wine out. Criminal. The wine was inevitably brilliant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Seriously - a swim would have only added to the beauty.
Green for safeGreen for safe
Green for safe

Volcano warning levels


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb