The titanic story of our boat trip


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Araucanía » Pucón
April 18th 2007
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bit windy then...Bit windy then...Bit windy then...

..shortly after this photo Natalie lost her head as it was blown from her torso.
Well, what a little adventure we have had aboard the good ship Puerto Eden.

As you may recall we were embarking onto our luxurious cruise ship on Thursday evening to set sail early on Friday morning. All went to plan for the first day or so. We had our own cabin much to the relief of Natalie and our own bathroom (well, cupboard with a hole in the floor and a loo).

The boat, for us, consisted of our cabin, the deck and a canteen area. And that has been our home for the past five days.

The journey should last 3 days and 4 nights but Neptune and his army of wave nymphs decided to interfere by whipping up 100 knot winds and 10 metre waves just before we hit the ocean bit of our trip. Up that point we were navigating the fjords although the low cloud and rainy conditions meant the views weren´t great. Before reaching the ocean section we took what we thought would be a 6 hour anchor to wait for the winds to calm down. Two days later we were still there.

By this point the boat was getting a
The Love Boat.The Love Boat.The Love Boat.

Starring Mr and Mrs Pike, two windproof fleeces and 49 rounds of nomination Whist.
little cramped for the 90 or so passengers and the crew were getting fairly sick of us I am sure. Most people drunk to forget with one chap (a crazy Dutchman) managing to fall over twice in two minutes whacking his head with a couple of thumps that made everyone groan. He was OK, possibly numbed by his ´vodka helmet´and lived to spend the rest of the trip half-cut.

We had a party one night...which basically meant that everyone drank more than they did on a ´normal´night. There was dancing with Natalie showing a truck driver a few cheeky moves (on the dance floor).

We played a lot of cards with a couple from Potters Bar - shared life stories and watched plenty of movies. Titanic and the Posiden Adventure didn´t feature although we felt that considering the state of the sea conditons the other side of the channel they could have been considered educational.

Eventually we set sale into the ocean...after being prompted to take our sea-sickness pills. At this point the population of the boat dwindled considerably as many people took to their bunks for 24 hours of pitching and rolling and trying not to
Survivor - Series 2Survivor - Series 2Survivor - Series 2

Natalie celebrates making it to Puerto Montt.
think about the scrambled eggs they had tucked into at breakfast. We were both OK although slightly comatosed after overdosing on the Kwells. Natalie had recurring dreams of a mysterious cat that kept jumping on her face...perhaps Jon´s beard is getting a little long!

The crew did a great job of keeping us fed...although if we see tomato and cucumber salad again, and vegetable soup, we may scream. And I think we´ve played as much gin rummy as we can for a week or two.

We saluted the captain as we left the boat today (well, we think he was the captain - he had a beard and a belly so must have been) and then headed straight to the Lake District, and a town called Pucon. Mirroring it´s cousin in England, the Lake District is pretty rainy and it has been for the past few days. But there promises to be some sunshine which will give Jon a chance to climb the nearby volcano and Natalie a chance to dry her non-tumble-dry knickers. So we´re both happy about that.

Hope all is well and keep the comments coming.

Hasta la vista.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Home from homeHome from home
Home from home

The Navimag luxury cruise ship (for both humans and cattle)


19th April 2007

Cruise Liners
Could this have been where Stelios got the idea for EasyCruise? It looks suspiciously orange to me...
19th April 2007

Fantastic pictures of the ice
Glad you survived the cruiser - a replica of the Queen Elizabeth from the sound of it !! All the best as you proceed ever onward Love Mum
20th April 2007

...and you call this a honeymoon/holiday?
Sounds only marginally better than my time out on oil-rigs and at least they don't move too much! - Glad you're still smiling and enjoy terra-firma for a while, Mark
21st April 2007

nickers
Geeeze, is that thing legal??? its certainly not the honeymoon suite! Im sure, very cozy just the same. Jon, maybe you should have let Natty pack a few more pairs of those 'bonds'. (ha ha ha) Glad your both safe and sound and dry once again! (thank god for hairbands hey!!) xoxoxxo

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb