Atacama Desert - Lago Cejar - Valle de la Muerte and Valle de la Luna


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hey,

Finally made our way to the north of Chile to the driest desert on the planet - we decided to spend a few bucks and get on a plane this time round from Santiago to Calama where we took a bus to the desert but touristic town of San Pedro de Atacama. It is touristic and you can understand why, there are 6,000 residents but we were told over 350,000 come each year to visit the wonders of the desert.

We started on Sunday by renting bikes and made our way through 23Kms of desert to the salt lake of Lago Cejar where after enjoying the magnificient landscape and salt formation of Lago Cejar itself we relaxed floating in almost freezing water under 30+ degrees of heat in the mini salt lake!

In the evening we had booked our visit to the Valle de la Luna that included Valle de la Muerte. It had been 10 years since during my first visit to Peru a German guy had described incredible sceneries to me so it was with great anticipation that we left San Pedro for a short bus drive to the Valleys. Trying to describe it would not do any credit to what we saw, it was just hard to imagine that at this very point in time we were still on earth - the recent rainfall (it only rains a couple of days a year so this was very unusual) only added to the experience by raising salt up the earth and covering the valley in white in some part... We obviously made our famous stops to the Coyot's rock and the three mary's along the way. Finally we enjoyed sunset over Valley de la Luna...

Enjoy...

x


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb