San Pedro de Atacama to Santiago


Advertisement
Published: February 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Flew north to San Pedro in the Atacama, with its low-slung adobe houses and dusty streets (avoiding another 20+ hour bus ride !). Cycled out to the remains of the Pukhara fortress, before hiking to a memorial and stunning viewpoint over the desert formations in the early evening light. Lost track of time and ended up locked-in, just preparing to scramble over the 6ft gate when shouts of "hola" eventually roused ranger. On way back ran into a local religious parade, with music and dancers, some in big woolly outfits and masks, making a bizarre sight in the desert sun. Later joined a star-gazing tour, the cloudless high-altitude setting perfect to first spot constellations and zodiac signs, and then use high-powered telescopes to view Jupiter's moons, nebulae and a comet.

Short of sleep headed out at 4am the next day to the El Tatio geyser field with steam and boiling water spouting into the freezing air, followed by a brief dip in some slightly tepid "hot" springs. Next tried out sand-boarding - hiking up giant sand-dunes and then surfing back down - fun but maybe not a natural ! Afterwards we scrambled through tunnels and up to a hilltop viewpoint and drank Pisco Sours as we watched the sun set over the famous Vallee de La Luna. The next day took a tour to the Altiplano lakes, seeing wildlife including Vicuña families and flamingos reflected in lakes glistening amongst the white salt-flats.

Leaving San Pedro stopped off at the massive Chuquicamata copper mine near Calama, first visiting a ghost town evacuated due to the pollution, and then viewing the huge excavations as heavily-laden, giant trucks with 4m tyres trundled past.

Back in Santiago strolled through sculpture park and Japanese garden before climbing Cerro San Cristobal for hazy views from its Christ statue. Filled my final day in South America visiting the interesting Visual Arts and Archaeological museums and celebrating a fab couple of months with a delicious seafood soup and a white wine in the Mercado Central... next stop New Zealand !


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Desert DancersDesert Dancers
Desert Dancers

Must have been a little warm ?
Cave scrambling near San PedroCave scrambling near San Pedro
Cave scrambling near San Pedro

Quite a tight squeeze...
Mining ghost town Mining ghost town
Mining ghost town

Chuquicamata
Big hole in groundBig hole in ground
Big hole in ground

Chuquicamata copper mine


21st February 2013

Great photos! Envy you. More please

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb