a day in the sun


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A flight north landed us in the wonderful San Pedro de Atacama. Situated at an oasis in the Atacama Desert (the most arid place on earth, San Pedro is blessed with beautiful adobe architecture, the thick mud walls provide a welcome sanctuary from the searing midday sun.

Missing the independence our bikes provided, the intrepid explorers hired 3 trusty steeds (we now have a new appreciation for chain lube, XT componentry, brakes...)to join the mad dogs and englishmen and venture out into the desert . Well prepared as always, clutching a litre of water and a packet of salty peanuts for sustinance, it was rather hot. We were rewarded with a landscape unlike any we´d seen before and a renewed respect for the power of the environment.

Our fortitude slightly diminished, we jumped on a tour to float in salty lagoons, swim in wierd formation ´ojos´ and watch the sunset on a salt plain.

A bustling tourist industry sees San Pedro come alive at night. As the sun relents, the streets and restaurants fill with the sound of local musicians busking with pan pipes, ukeleles, guitars, drums and harmonising voices.
Again our three blonde locks gained us new friends amongst the musicians and an invitation to join a full moon drumming party at a canyon in the desert, blondes do have more fun! However can't foot it with the locals on the dance floor so quickly learned to spectate.

Next stop Bolivia...






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb