Disco the Sailor on the Amazon


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
February 8th 2005
Published: February 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

And who was a grumpy bear today?? The church bell starts at 6am and there are no curtains on the windows. Need sleeeeeeep!!!!!!

We farewelled Manaus with the obligatory burger and juice, then headed for the port and our river-boat down the Amazon. They~re like the old steamers, you see in the movies.
The locals hang their hammocks on the first and second levels. We were in cabins on the first level, then there~s only cabins on the top level. Or the Lido Deck, as we liked to call it. There~s about 3 feet between each hammock, so they~re piled in there like ants and swinging in motion to the boat. We had somw hammocks with us but it was so incredibly hot and gave me motion sickness that I only spent about 10 minutes there before caving to the upstairs luxury.
Made friends with the fabulous Johnathom, a 14 year old with an extraordinarily bright personality and desire to learn English. Talking to everyone.

We~re travelling to Belem on the boat and it~s going to take 4 days travelling downstream :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb