Brazilian Carnival - Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
March 5th 2007
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

Vila Maria's Parade - Sao Paulo
Not only because we are Brazilians but we can say for sure that Carnaval is the greatest show on earth. It is simply amazing and unforgettable. After waiting one year for the Carnaval again we were ready for the fun!!! Carnaval is an annual celebration in Brazil held 40 days before Easter and marking the start of Lent. Some people say that the year in Brazil starts only after Carnaval and the country stops during it. As good Brazilians, we decided to enjoy this party at the fullest, participating on the parades in Sao Paulo and in Rio de Janeiro. And for sure, it is one lifetime experience.

The Carnaval in Sao Paulo may not have Rio’s reputation and popularity, but it has cheaper tickets and less touristy atmosphere. It is one fantastic alternative for people who haven’t seen any Carnival Parade, the samba schools perform all night in the Sambadrome, witch is located in the north zone of the city.

Carnival in Rio de Janeiro is known worldwide for the elaborate parades staged by the city’s major samba schools in the Sambadrome. It is also one of Rio’s major tourist attractions.In Rio Samba schools are very large, well-financed
GrandmaGrandmaGrandma

My Granny having fun! So cute!
organizations that labor year round in preparation for Carnival.

Apart from the entertainment and spectacle, is a competition between the schools. Various aspects are judged - the theme song, evolution, the drum band, dancers, harmony, dance-master and standard-bearer, among others. On the following Wednesday, the Carnival Champion is announced, a title disputed as fiercely as the Soccer Championships. There are two unforgettable aspects of the samba parade. One is the march-past of the band, made up totally of drums and percussion instruments, around 300 of them. There is no one alive who would not feel the force of the primeval rhythm that goes right through you and sets your whole being vibrating. The other is the multiplicity of color and beauty of the participants, men and women, their sculptured bodies shining in the floodlights, and a contagious smile on their faces.

A lot of people have one wrong image that carnaval is a big party with tones of drunk people and naked women. Well, it may happen somewhere. But what I like about Carnaval is that the entire country stops, people support their favorite samba school and everybody is so happy. It is something that is part of
CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

Grande Rio's Parade- Rio de Janeiro
the Brazilian culture and a lot of times the theme songs are about some issue of the society.

Friday night, first canaval night in Sao Paulo. It was our second time on parades, again for the samba school named Vila Maria. Vila Maria is one neighborhood in the north zone of Sao Paulo. I think this school has one of the best vibes ever!!! The “samba enredo” (theme song) was about the city of Cubatão. It was happy and vivid . Cubatão a city in the state of São Paulo. In the early 1980s, Cubatão was one of the most polluted cities in the world, nicknamed "Valley of Death", due to births of brainless children and respiratory, hepatic and blood illnesses. Nowadays it has improved a lot, but it's impossible to clean completely the soil and underground water and while many large industries continue to work in such a small area, there will always be some pollution. So the theme song was telling about the changes “Renasceu das trevas pro vale da vida, valente e destemida”.

Our costume was very colorful and it was about the Valley of Life. The one thing I like about Carnaval is that
CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

Great fun with friends!
you get together with your friends and have fun. This year, particularly was very special, because we are leaving our country and will be without carnaval for some years, at least without OUR carnaval. The group that dresses in the same costume that forms a block in the carnival parade is named ALA. We were 15, including friends, family, even my grandma!

At the end of Carnaval Vila Maria was the vice champion. Mocidade Alegre was the champion, but everybody was happy with the results!!!!

Then, Sunday morning we went to Rio de Janeiro, it is a 45 min flight. In my opinion Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The weather is perfect, the atmosphere, the beaches… unfortunately it is not the most safe place to travel to, but as everywhere else tourists should exercise caution and everything should be fine.

During Carnaval all the beaches were packed. Sunday night we went to the Sambadrome, Sapucaí. The way to get there is a little bit confusing, too many people on the streets, people trying to sell beverages, food, tickets, etc. But when you get in the sambadrome the feeling is awesome!!! It
CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

Vila Maria
is way bigger than Sao Paulo’s!!! We watched the first 6 school parades. The one that pleased us the most was Mangueira, one of the most traditional ones.

Monday was our night to be on the parades. We were part of Grande Rio School. This school is well known for having famous people on their parade. The “samba enredo” (theme song) was about the city of Duque de Caxias. It is a commercial and industrial suburb of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Its industries include oil refining. Our costume was about oil refining, it was a gas bomb, with very extravagant colors. One advice we give for people who want to be on the parades: try to choose some light costume, otherwise it will be awful to carry all night long, just like ours. Grande Rio was also the vice champion!

In sum, Carnaval is the place to be and to have fun! We will definitely miss it!!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

GraziGrazi
Grazi

One of the celebrities at Grande Rio's Parade


10th February 2009

Thank you!
I would like to thank you for what you wrote. You just inspired my boyfriend and I to get off our asses and start seeing the world.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb