Iguassu Falls, Paraguay and a personal goal achieved.


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
September 4th 2008
Published: September 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Iguassu FallsIguassu FallsIguassu Falls

Brazilian side...............Let's Dance!
Leaving Montevideo we were heading to Brazil but had a stopover in Salto, not really worthy of anything apart from thermal pools. Highlight of Salto was having the best pedicure i have ever had, i made everyone line up to stroke my newly smooth hooves. That evening we were driven by taxis over the border into Argentina and to the bus terminal where we waited for a good few hours to get on an overnight bus to Iguassu Falls, Brazil. Bored to tears we got the beers in and sat & gossed, while others played cards. I´m an old hand now at these overnight buses so i was looking forward to the reclining chairs, blankets, etc. Oh my god, how could i have been so naive! The chairs barely reclined and were hard as rock, no leg room, no blankets either. We FROZE! We were given food, however it was a cold mince empanada (basically a pastie) and a cold slice of pizza. I´m realising that we were v. spoilt when booking the buses ourselves! It was a very long 13 hours....

At the end of the trip we were met by our local guide, Antonio, who would be with
Iguassu FallsIguassu FallsIguassu Falls

Brazilian side
us the entire time in Iguassu. He drove us over the border into Brazil, where we were staying. We ditched our bags and went straight to the falls. It was a miserable old day, weather wise but wow. The falls are absolutely breathtaking and the roar of the water is just so loud you can barely hear yourself think. There was one section where you could walk on this footbridge right out over the falls and were instantly drenched from the spray. Standing on the footbridge you can look out into the most powerful section called Devil´s Throat but you really can't see it at all for the spray.

We had a birthday party that night at the hotel for one of the Irish girls who unfortunately had to spend her real birthday night on that horrendous overnight bus.

I completed a personal goal today so i am a happy lass. 30 countries at the tender(!) age of 30. 😊

Next morning the weather was foul so we postponed going to the Argentinian side of the Falls for the following day and headed over the border to Paraguay, with the lure of cheap electronics. Paraguay is meant
Iguassu FallsIguassu FallsIguassu Falls

Brazilian side
to be one of the poorest countries in South America. As we drove over the bridge alongside the van were Brazilians walking, cycling, riding mopeds, all heading over to reap the goods, as for the same items in Brazil they are taxed v. heavily. Now Kiwis and Aussies need visa´s for Paraguay, which we didn´t have. Customs consisted of an official walking up to the van and our guide passing her a piece of paper handwritten with our names and passport numbers. She nodded, handed the paper back and off we drove. Welcome to Paraguay. I can´t even begin to describe the chaos, think Bangkok x 5. Dodgy eyes all around. The prices weren´t even that sensational, compared to home. Out of interest i questioned a dude about the price of an iphone. $1050 USD. Mate, get real.

That night was Saturday night and we headed out for dinner and were introduced to a drink which I now adore, the Caipirinha. Made with Cachaca (local spirit made from Sugar cane), lime juice, sugar & ice. Bring it on. They are divine, if not ridiculously strong. Now, there´s nothing better than being on the dance floor on a Saturday night
Iguassu FallsIguassu FallsIguassu Falls

Brasilian side
and looking down to realise you are wearing trackpants. Ahhh, the life of a classy traveller.

Next day the weather was great and we bundled back into the minivan for the Argentinian side of the Falls. We did get a better view of Devil's Throat. It is incredibly intense and is hard to tear yourself away from. What a day though, we sailed down the river on a boat, saw heaps of Coaties (which look like raccoons), and got up close and personal with 3 alligators (eek!). Stopped for lunch then headed out on a speed boat, one of those crazy thrillseeker type rides where you get completely drenched and spend the whole ride screaming like a loon. I loved it, we were taken right into the falls it was like being in a power shower. Couldn´t even open my eyes at one stage for the sheer force of the water.





Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Iguassu FallsIguassu Falls
Iguassu Falls

Brasilian side
Iguassu FallsIguassu Falls
Iguassu Falls

Could barely open my eyes for the spray
ParaguayParaguay
Paraguay

We could not believe how short all the shop assistants uniforms were!
ParaguayParaguay
Paraguay

madness
Garbage day in IguassuGarbage day in Iguassu
Garbage day in Iguassu

Nope, no trucks to be seen here... just horse & cart.
Iguassu FallsIguassu Falls
Iguassu Falls

Argentinian side


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb