diverted!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo
August 28th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

some light refreshmentssome light refreshmentssome light refreshments

4 hours on the ground in Rio.... what else were we to do?
A very brief and tired update follows....... better notes in the future...

so i am currently in a hotel room in sao paulo, brazil.... i also spent 4 hours in rio de janeiro today (albeit stuck on a plane), already 2 things that i didn't expect or plan....

i woke up on the plane from heathrow and went to the loo and heard the captain say very quickly in portuguese something and then what sounded like 'blah de blah diverted to rio de janeiro' in english.... i asked the stewardess if i had heard right and indeed i had - due to too much fog in sao paulo (where my connecting flight to lima should have been) we were unable to land so we were being diverted to rio, i was happy with that as i thought i could catch up with a few long lost pals over some 'female goats' on copacabana beach (private joke), to cut a long story short we sat on the plane for 4 hours waiting for the fog to clear and drinking beer and having a silent disco (to studio 54 - and Akon!) with my new norwegian and brazilian friends (monica, therese and leticia) - good times. it was hard work though fighting off the invites to scrap my spanish lessons and to join monica and therese in Mort den Sao Paulo, Bahia, they even got the laptop out and gave me slideshows.... have to say it does look like paradise! their persuading didn't work, my dad's voice resounding in my head 'don't forget your goal' - they fell asleep and we flew to sao paulo. (also the beer and wine ran out)

so we landed in sao paulo missed our lima flight by minutes, we (about 30 of us) spent the next 7 hours at the airport wondering what the hell was happening as communication is selective here.
but we made the most of it and at one point i was playing cards with a greek, an arab, a kiwi, a german and a peruvian - it was like united nations. we were also joined from time to time by tomek my new cockney friend from ealing, two other friendly german guys, steve from willesden, some scots et al, but never members of staff.

eventually we got on a mini bus and got to the hotel where we've eaten so much (when i say 'we' i mean 'me'), i am trying now to book another bus (as i missed today's one) from lima to arequipa before i get persuaded to stay in lima and study in miraflores - people need to stop telling me how nice the beaches are!

so a shower and bed for me tonight, early wake up call tomorrow - 5am! and then hopefully no fog so a flight to lima, and maybe a bus to arequipa, or maybe not (i've heard about a festival in lima this weekend so i may be locked in the city walls?)

love you lots and will write more better-er soon xx

jaynus

x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb